CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
My 1st month with a better diet and CF! Next 6 months!

So I've been doing CF for the past month. I've been doing scaled workouts, and I haven't been as dedicated to it as I should be. I've been mixing it with other workouts and my rugby practice.
But, the biggest change for me has been my diet. I've gone from eating just absolute crap every meal everyday to eating meat, veggies, fruit and nuts. I eat WAY better than I ever have in my entire life.

In this amount of time (23 days) I've lost 17 pounds and don't look as bloated all the time. I've gone from 275 to 258!

I wish I'd made this post when I first started 23 days ago, but I wanted to get a good record of myself up now. I plan on taking some "before" pictures tonight.

This thread is not so much a progress thread as it is a beginning point. I feel my body has a long long way to go. And I wanted to get a record of where I'm starting up now. I feel like most of this 17 pounds has been water weight. I'm not bloated 24/7 anymore. My stomach is actually at it's normal size.

So I'm feeling good about this start. Hopefully the fat loss starts to set in and the performance sees improvements of leaps and bounds!

I will keep you updated every month, and I will definitely post some pictures! This is my testimonial to how doing half-*** CF and a decent diet has already made big changes. Now we'll see how it goes from here with full-*** CF!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Gayle Jordan

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: My 1st month with a better diet and CF! Next 6 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post

In (23 days) I've lost 17 pounds I've gone from 275 to 258!

Hopefully the fat loss starts to set in and the performance sees improvements of leaps and bounds!

I will keep you updated every month, and I will definitely post some pictures!
Hey Jason,

CONGRATS on your 1st 17 Pounds!!
That's AWESOME!!!

FYI: Just so you know...
You said "Hopefully the fat loss starts to set in and the performance sees improvements of leaps and bounds!
Oh Man...
You just wait!
Your Performance Improvements are going to shock the Heck out of you!

I can't wait to see your Improvements along with LOTS of Pictures!!!

Take Care!
gayle in VA
Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
James Compora

Profile:
Re: My 1st month with a better diet and CF! Next 6 months!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yeah yeah. I keep telling my wife that I need to take the pics and we keep not getting around to it. I'll get her to do it tonight.

They're just before pics. No after pics.

I can testify to this though. I haven't had a rugby game in a few weeks. In the few weeks I'd been hitting the WoDs and some Tabata's hard. Last time I played rugby I was coughing up my lung within 10 minutes.

I played nearly a whole game Saturday and felt great. I was still getting winded, but it was nowhere near the level it was before.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Ok so attached are some photos of me.

The ones on the left I took today. This is me as of today at 260 and probably a ton of body fat.

The pic on the far right is taken at a rugby game in October when I was about 275 and nowhere near as serious about weight loss or working out.

I don't see too big of a difference in the two, but maybe I'm bias. Hopefully I can post again on March 23 with big differences!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ME2.23.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	3532  Click image for larger version

Name:	ME2.23-2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	3533  Click image for larger version

Name:	ME2.23-3.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	3534  Click image for larger version

Name:	ME10.08.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	3535  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

As you can see most of my "fat" is concentrated around the stomach area. It looks like I have a big gut, but I don't really drink beer except once in a blue moon. So it's not a beer gut, despite the fact it looks like one.
Then again my arms and chest aren't exactly rock solid either.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Also, I've noticed that my endurance went up greatly at my last rugby game after just 2 weeks of hardcore CF and sprinting.

But, I gained back 5 pounds on the scale! I haven't changed my diet from my paleo-hybrid that worked so well for a month, so I'm wondering where that came from. Maybe I ate something that caused me to retain water? I dunno. I need to lost this spare tire though!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Also, I've noticed that my endurance went up greatly at my last rugby game after just 2 weeks of hardcore CF and sprinting.

But, I gained back 5 pounds on the scale! I haven't changed my diet from my paleo-hybrid that worked so well for a month, so I'm wondering where that came from. Maybe I ate something that caused me to retain water? I dunno. I need to lost this spare tire though!
salty foods (ie, bacon)'ll do it to you. also, always weigh yourself at the same time and DON"T weigh yourself every day. you'll drive yourself insane. I only step on the scale once every other week...sometimes once a month.

I could be wrong (somebody correct me if i am), but i'm pretty sure you have enough body fat to lose, that even while gaining muscle, you should be losing more fat and should still be seeing progress on the scale. if you're still gaining weight after working out hard + rugby and weighing yourself once a week or once every other week, then i'm going to say "i told you so" on 1600 calories not being NEARLY enough food for an active male that's 6'4".

calorie restriction'll work to a point, but CF and sports take a LOT out of you, and eating as little as you are is starving your body and shocking it into storing everything. With the amount of activity you do...you really need to eat more to lose more.

my $.02...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
salty foods (ie, bacon)'ll do it to you. also, always weigh yourself at the same time and DON"T weigh yourself every day. you'll drive yourself insane. I only step on the scale once every other week...sometimes once a month.

I could be wrong (somebody correct me if i am), but i'm pretty sure you have enough body fat to lose, that even while gaining muscle, you should be losing more fat and should still be seeing progress on the scale. if you're still gaining weight after working out hard + rugby and weighing yourself once a week or once every other week, then i'm going to say "i told you so" on 1600 calories not being NEARLY enough food for an active male that's 6'4".

calorie restriction'll work to a point, but CF and sports take a LOT out of you, and eating as little as you are is starving your body and shocking it into storing everything. With the amount of activity you do...you really need to eat more to lose more.

my $.02...

See I don't think that's it. Because I've tried the eat more before while being active and all I did was gain weight.

Meanwhile last month the calorie restriction was causing me to drop weight like a bad habit.

Did I mention that while my diet hasn't changed in the last week (the time i gained that 5 pounds) that I have been eating more calories everyday because I've just been eating more food. Above 2000 actually.

So, this evidence would point to eating more not being good for me losing weight and that I should eat less calories.

Because before when I tried more calories I gained weight. I did calorie restriction for a month and lost weight. In the last week I upped the calorie intake and gained weight. Hmmm......more calories isn't going to work in this case. Everyone is different though, so while more calories may work for some people it's definitely not going to work for me.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
See I don't think that's it. Because I've tried the eat more before while being active and all I did was gain weight.

Meanwhile last month the calorie restriction was causing me to drop weight like a bad habit.

Did I mention that while my diet hasn't changed in the last week (the time i gained that 5 pounds) that I have been eating more calories everyday because I've just been eating more food. Above 2000 actually.

So, this evidence would point to eating more not being good for me losing weight and that I should eat less calories.

Because before when I tried more calories I gained weight. I did calorie restriction for a month and lost weight. In the last week I upped the calorie intake and gained weight. Hmmm......more calories isn't going to work in this case. Everyone is different though, so while more calories may work for some people it's definitely not going to work for me.
you said your diet hadn't changed. that would imply same caloric intake. i based what i said up there ^ on what you told me :P