CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Aaron Davis

Profile:
Introduction, and question about excess fruit on paleo?

Hello, after reading lots of threads here and trying some workouts, I am now drinking the CF kool aid. I am 24/m/72"/185lb. Been doing most of the workouts for the past couple weeks and I love it. I've always been pretty athletic and into outdoor sports, but over the past year or two I've gained about 10-15 lbs of fat that I am disgusted by, and ready to burn it off.

I've been on pretty strict no grains/sugar for the past few days, but since I tend to graze more than eat large meals, I feel like I might be eating too much fruit. Most of the fruit I've been eating lately is limited to apples/citrus, with an occasional banana if i make a smoothie. When I start to crave something sweet, I usually grab an orange or some berries, or once a day i'll make a smoothie. If I had to guess, i'd say about 40% of my calories are coming from fruit. This just feels like too much, so im looking for some feedback. How bad is excessive fruit if I am trying to shed some fat? Keep in mind I am at the beginning stages of the diet/CF.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Introduction, and question about excess fruit on paleo?

That is too much. Fruits, esp. bananas, have sugar in them. Maybe it is not as high GI as table sugar, but still will spike your insulin and therefore give you most of the detriments of just plain sugar. Concentrate more on the "favorable" fruits according to the zone block chart in the FAQ (apples, berries). The CF simple diet motto: Eat veggies, esp. greens, lean meat, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar.

Eat more veggies and nuts
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Laura Kurth

Profile:

40% calories from fruit is huge! That does not leave a lot of room for meat, veg & fat.

I think try to reduce it one piece per day until you are down to 1-2.

Especially if you are trying to drop BF.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Oliver Bradley

Profile:

You can eat fruit post workout without worrying about it too much. So if body fat is an issue and you still want to eat more than one piece of fruit a day you can sneak some in post workout.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

It is fine to eat fruit for both post-workout (muscle glycogen replenishment) and breakfast (when insulin levels are low), but other than that you should avoid eating it.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Remington Jones

Profile:

Thanks Joe that's an answer I can live with.
I love fruit!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Jones View Post
Thanks Joe that's an answer I can live with.
I love fruit!
Me too! Peaches and strawberries especially, I could eat them by the truckload. Too bad they are not in season all year round
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
It is fine to eat fruit for both post-workout (muscle glycogen replenishment) and breakfast (when insulin levels are low), but other than that you should avoid eating it.
Exactly.

PWO a banana and berries are excelent for recovery (carbs pwo spare muscle and initiate muscle regeneration) and glycogen replenishment as they have more glucose for the muscles...

For breakfast an apple or citrus fruit are great because they have more fructose for liver glycogen which is depleted after the fasting period durring sleep.

The thing to be carefull of as well as the insulin deal is too much fruictose will be stored as fat... once the liver is full of glycogen that is the only other option it can not be used directly as energy without first being stored as fat.