CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #31
Craig Loizides

Profile:
You definitely need to drink while running the marathon. Taking in carbs is just as important. Most people only have enough glycogen stores to run about 18-20 miles. Running out of glycogen is what people commonly refer to as "hitting the wall" at 20 miles. The best way to address both is by drinking a sports drink regularly throughout the race. 4-6 ounces every 15 minutes is a good general rule for most people, but experiment to find out what works for you. I find that I can do a little more than that. I like to stop for 5 seconds to drink. A lot of people who try to drink while running end up taking 1 sip, spill half the cup down their face, and then throw the rest on the ground. The quick stops also help to break the race up into smaller segments. Before the race I eat a regular breakfast, preferably 3 hours before the race. I usually drink 8-16 oz of gatorade about 15 minutes before the race. Use your long runs to experiment with hydration and prerace meals. The marathon is a bad time to find out that your prerace meal causes stomach problems an hour into a run.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #32
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
One more thing -- make sure you "take a dump" before you run the Marathon. Otherwise you will be in for one uncomfortable run.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #33
Connie Morreale

Profile:
craig is spot on here. you definetly want to have a few long runs where you experiment with the right mix and intervals of your fuels.
-----------

dy try n
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #34
John Frazer

Profile:
I haven't tried a marathon since I started doing CF in '04, but I do run the Army Ten-Miler every year.

CF has definitely helped me beat and exceed my previous performance from traditional running programs. I really notice the difference mentally, as well as on the few hills on the course, the sprint to the finish line, and recovery time afterward.

However, the year I tried to gut it out on CF training ALONE was a real disaster. I hadn't run more than 6 miles all summer and developed a nearly crippling case of iliotibial band syndrome at about the 7-mile mark, which made me walk a bit after that. Then, I could barely walk for a week. Of course, that was also the year when they had a security scare and changed the course after the race had started. So it was actually 11.4 miles-ugh.

Now, I do CF training but make sure I get in the long run every other week. For a 10-miler I make sure I do one run of at least 9 miles a few weeks before the race.

CF can get you (or at least me) by in events up to 10K. Beyond that, I really need to run.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #35
Vincent Tam

Profile:
Thanks for all of the advice guys. Ill make sure I get those long runs in just like you guys said. So you guys carry backpacks to hold all that gatorade, and possibly goo?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #36
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
Try this attachment of nutritional considerations for endurance events. I might help to put things into perspective.

I will see what I can find on resistance training and endurance. There is some stuff out there I just need to find it and the time.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Nutritional Considerations for Compentition.doc (31.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #37
Craig Loizides

Profile:
In my long runs I either use a Camelbak or leave water bottles along the route. In the race I use whatever the organizers provide. Try to find out ahead of time what the race will provide and how often so you can plan your strategy. Almost all races now provide a sports drink, but if they don't you could use about 2 goos an hour to replace it. Wayne's last point is important. Always drink water with energy gels. If you take a high concentration of sugar, the carbohydrate will be absorbed slowly and may even pull fluid into your gut increasing dehydration.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #38
John McBrien

Profile:
When you guys use CF to supplement marathon training, is your overall running volume a lot lower? Based on what I've read it seems to me that a lot of you don't run as much when using CF because you don't have to - and you still do better.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #39
John Frazer

Profile:
I wear a belt that carries a small water bottle. My usual route for long runs goes through several parks that have water fountains.

I eat the chocolate flavored "GU," which I carry in my pockets.

In one Army Ten-Miler I screwed up and accidentally grabbed a cup of sports drink instead of water. Came down with horrible stomach cramps and other consequences. Do make sure to use the facilities before the start time.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #40
John McBrien

Profile:
This question I think is a little more pertinent - if I am going to do the 1 long distance run per week for my own training program do you recommend distance or time? I know a couple of you recommended 1 hour, then 2, 3, 4 as time goes on while others stressed mileage increases of 10% (but I don't know where to start my long runs at).