CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
Al Bulkley

Profile:
I’ve been turning this idea over in my head for a few days, and am looking for some input:

I’m considering running a marathon this fall and am pretty much starting from scratch as far as my running ability and overall fitness is concerned.

I’d like to design and follow a very simple training program that relies on as little running as possible, utilizes CF principles, and consists primarily of functional resistance training. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this:

Day 1: Squats / pullups / interval run
Day 2: Deadlifts / push press / dips or pushups
Day 3: Random exercise / LSD run
Day 4: Rest

For day 3 the “random exercise” part of the workout would be where try to add a little variety by spending just a little time practicing other functional exercises (things like snatches & handstand pushups) at fairly low intensity before I go out for my long run.

I’d repeat this cycle for about 6 months, slowly and steadily increasing the workload and intensity of days one and two, and slowly and steadily increasing the distance of the LSD run.

The reason I dont simply follow the WOD is that it is, quite frankly, just too hard for me at this point. Performed with any measure of intensity, I beleive it will leave me way too whipped and sore to run, plus I have room for very little more equipment than my weight set and pullup bar.

My reason for doing this is because:

1) Despite always wanting to finish a marathon, I’m not in love with running at all and I want to do as little of it as possible

2) I don’t want hours and hours of distance running to interfere with the benefits of my strength and interval training

3) I basically want to do an experiment: can a 32 year old, moderately overweight and minimally fit male with a sedentary job get himself into shape to finish a marathon in only 6 months time, using a very simple training program that relies primarily on functional resistance training and minimal distance running?

Just for some idea of my present fitness level, I currently work out only semi-regularly, doing mostly power cleans, squats, pullups, pushups, and an occasional 2-3 mile jog. I can probably run about 3 miles or so at about a 9 min/mile pace before I really need to stop for a breather. I’m 5’10”, about 240# and around 20% BF.

Is this possible, or am I just looking to get hurt?

If it’s a go, what should the program look like? The one above was just jotted down quickly, without too much thought.

I’m looking forward to everyone’s input and suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Bob Long

Profile:
Hmm, seems like we did this before.

Paging Eugene Allen. Report for duty.

This link is safe cause it's a previous Crossfit message board post.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/19550.html
Old 04-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Good one Bob.:biggrinthumb:
I remembered the same conversation that we both had with Anthony over a year ago but I forgot what thread it was from.
Thanks for re-posting it.:highfive:

Speaking of which, it did remind me also of another thread on the same subject matter that I posted to Anthony a little later on that same month.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/20113.html (work/family safe)

Old 04-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Al Bulkley

Profile:
Thanks for the links to those threads. They answered most of my questions. I had done a looked for a thread that addressed this topic, bu didn't come across those ones.

Anyone else care to add any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Robin Elmore

Profile:
I think if you want to truly run a marathon, you don't necessarily have to love to run, but get out on the road, get some real scenery going on, it will make time go by faster, also working with a partner will help. I went by CoolRunning.com and use their training schedule for beginners to advance running for a marathon and I trained by myself never running long distances before and ran the OKC Marathon last year and finished in 4 hours with a broken arm that I did while I was running that day at 5 miles. Get your mind set for running and just do it. Anyone can! Good Luck
Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
Ok Robin, now I’m curious. Exactly how did you break your arm while running the marathon? Did you do it while reaching for one of those sports drinks at the 5 mile water station and someone slapped your arm down or something?:lol:
Wow, that must have been a rough group of runners.:crutch00:
Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
That brings back memories. Just as an update ... I've since had my surgery, I can run without issues, but I'm still no closer to a marathon!!

Good luck if you decide to give it a shot!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
Robin Elmore

Profile:
I was not watching the road in front of me and I feel over a cone they had at the side where I've never had cones at before to block drivers and I fell over it and broke my arm. I was so embarrassed.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Connie Morreale

Profile:
there are many people who have gone out and run marathons without training more than a few haphazard miles a week. not such a good idea. while you may very well pull it off you may pay heavily for it after. your body needs to adapt to running, and you wont get that cross training. your body needs to pound pavement for the sake of your connective tissue. cardio training and muscular endurance comes much more easily than connective tissue adaptation. this is critical to be able to run that distance without the chance of an overuse injury. plantar faciaitis, stress fracture, groin pull and achilles tendonitis are a few of the more serious overuse injuries. if you avoid those, dont worry; blisters, black toenails, calf cramps and the like are a given for even a seasoned runner. i've only run several half marathons with plenty of training and all i can say is i completely respect the distance of a marathon. i've heard that phrase repeated by many a marathoner...respect the distance. dont underestimate how tough it can be. even lance armstrong was utterly humbled when he ran new york recently.
i certaintly dont want to be a nay sayer, and i have a "push through the pain" workout ethic that is second to none but i urge you to give it serious consideration as well as web surfing running sites to get some perspective from folks who "respect the distance".
if you do decide to go for it (hopefully with a more beefed up running schedule), 6 months is more than enough time to get ready.
---------------------------------

dy try n
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Bradford Green

Profile:
Al, I'm pretty interested in how this is going to work out for you. Last weekend I ran a trail 1/2 marathon with no real training. Like Connie said, the main thing I noticed was that my joints were absolutely killing. The connective tissue just wasn't ready for that stuff. That said, I'm glad I did it and I was back to crossfitting at full strength a few days later. Of course, a full and a 1/2 are very different animals but I think it is certainly completely possible for you to do this, and your plan looks feasible. The key may very well be that once-every-few-days LSD effort. Keep us updated, we love empirical evidence.