CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Angel Andre Liu Orozco

Profile:
I've been doing CF for a year now and have seen super gains both mentally and physically. But i have a new quest - Im planning on running San Francisco's marathon. I am deciding on what type of workout regimen i should have.Clearly i cannot give up crossfit but i need to be able to last 26.2 miles. 13 miles already kick my butt! Well, my current/ tentative plan is as follows:
mon- legs
ohs, squats, lunges(including circuit of some sort)
tues- short run and core exercises
wed- o-lifts
cleans, snatch etc.
thurs- med run
fri- chest back
sat- long run

Im 190lbs at 9% body fat and dont want to loss too much mass. Any help from experienced ones would be awesome. Thanks!!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Angel - Not to put to fine a point on it but let's say you were going to do a power lifting meet or say a bench press contest...would you run 4 days a week and lift 3 days a week? I have not done the SFO marathon but I have done dozens of marathons and two of them were part of Ironman distance triathlons. As a fairly experienced endurance guy let me assure you that the second 13 miles are waaaaaay harder than the first 13 and your running schedule is woefully inadequate to allow anything more than misery and suffering on race day.

Your race is on July 29th which is very soon in marathon preparation time and your worry about losing too much mass is at odds with marathon training..."I wanna bench 400 but I don't want to get too big." Marathon training takes some very specific training and just because "Lots of people do it" doesn't mean it isn't a rough go.

It's a long run Angel, you need more long runs. You have to prepare your body for the rigors of 4+ hours of steady running. Running a short and a medium run and then a long run on the weekend will not prepare you for those rigors. I suggest you go to the bookstore and check out all the available books for sale on the topic by Hal Higdon, Jack Daniels, Phil Maffetone and the many other authors who have written books on how to train for this distance.

This is a run my friend...train like a runner.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Craig Loizides

Profile:
If you've already been crossfitting for a year, adding 3 runs a week on top of crossfit for 2 months isn't going to make much of a difference in your mass or strength. There's no reason you can't run a marathon and do strength work at the same time. You won't reach a peak performance in either, but you can be pretty good in both. It really depends on what your goals are. Some people can also bench 400 pounds without getting too big, but that's a different discussion.

Eugene is absolutely right that 2 months is very little time to get ready for a marathon. The last 6 miles will be unpleasant at best. If you're interested in running a good time instead of just finishing you might consider doing a marathon in the fall.

It's hard to give advice without knowing more about your current condition and prior running experience. If you taper for 2-3 weeks before the race that only gives you 6-7 weeks for doing long runs. If your 13 mile run was done recently, you probably want to do 12-13 this weekend and then add about 2 miles every week or every other week. This will get you to a long run of around 20. If you're already crossfitting, adding a short run probably won't do a lot for your marathoning. You might want to replace it with a longer run (30-60 minutes) at expected marathon pace. This overall plan might be too aggressive for your current condition. It's hard to say. You will almost certainly be doing some walking during the race. Jeff Galloway (google it) has some good advice for adding walking breaks in during long runs as well as a low mileage training program for beginners.

Also, check out this thread on a similar topic:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/40270.html
Old 05-27-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
Robin Elmore

Profile:
I agree with everyone here. Your running schedule is not going to get you to the end, you will probably hit a wall before you get there if you don't start putting in soem interval training and running 4 or more days per week. I trained and ran my first marathone last year and the training was harder than the actual race, it took alot of my time and you are sore but you work thru it. You may rethink your marathon and try to train for a later one, you need to give yourself about 4 months training 12-16 weeks.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Angel Andre Liu Orozco

Profile:
thanks for the input you all gave me. The running program that was written out for me was given to me by my friend. She comes in first and second place in many marathon. She did an ultra marathon last month and came in 2nd place!!

I was more interested in the type of resistance training. Not neccesarily running program. I have my running program all layed out.

Maybe my question is: what type of crossfit, o-lifting, circuits, kettle bell work do you marathon runners do?

oyea. if this helps to determine my "fitness level"

fran:3:55
angie: 16:51
cftotal score:840

(Message edited by andre on May 27, 2007)
Old 05-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 05-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
See:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/41436.html