CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Ryan Gregory

Profile:
BW Bench press - what's the average?

Hey folks,
I was looking to do the WOD from: Thursday 081106 "Lynne"

Five rounds for max reps of:
Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

This got me thinking, how many reps of BW benchpress is average.

That is to ask:
1) If I can only do 1-2 rep of my BW benchpress (and most ppl can do 10?), should I be scaling that down a bit so I press even just a few?

2) If I can't do 1 BW benchpress, do I just scale it down until I can?

3) I use DB's for benchpress - when swapping BB for DB, is it a stright up swap? I weight 170lb. So 170lb on BB is 85lb on each DB? Or is there any difference to consider when using DB's?

and

4) Since it doesn't say for time, but it doesn't Rx any rests, do you move quickly as possible between the 2, or are there implied rest periods?

Last edited by Ryan Gregory : 11-07-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add a Q :)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Devin Henry

Profile:
Re: BW Bench press - what's the average?

I actually use my body weight for this exercise but if you can not do your body wieght I would scale down until you get to a weight where you can do at min 10-7 reps. And when you move to the pull ups I recommend at least 15 secs between the the two exercises depending on the distance between the bench and the pull up bar. During your workout your rest time will naturally increase but I would not go over 30 secs rest time if you can help it.

As for the average weight I use 185.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Over 10 reps with your bodyweight is decently strong.

Rest as little as possible between sets (no more than about 15s I'd say, and keep consistent).

Scale it down.

Use a total of about 80% in DB weight vs. barbell weight. (If you were going to use 170, use 70s).

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Anthony Marshall

Profile:

There are multiple ways to build your overall chest strength. Me, I would always alternate workouts and reps/sets. Also, you can't forget that even though it is a chest dominant movement, your back, shoulders, and triceps are used a LOT. Here is a possible breakdown. *disclaimer - don't forget to also work the supporting muscles as well or you will only get half of the benefit*

Workout A
3 or 4 sets using your max weight for each set (not 1 rep max)
(scale the weights as needed)
55% bw for 12 reps
60% bw for 10 reps
65% bw fpr 8 reps
70% bw for 6 reps

Workout B
Do 5 sets of 5 reps. The first set will be your easiest (but still challenging) and each set after, add 20, 10, or 5 pounds as needed until your final set is your 5 rep max.

That follows a more traditional weight lifting theme, but that is the whole point of bodybuilding...to target a muscle group. The verying set/rep scheme gives your body enough change to keep sparking growth for a while too. Also, using a shoulder width grip vs a wide grip will allow you to put up more weight since you are incorporating more muscles into the movement.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
Rest as little as possible between sets (no more than about 15s I'd say, and keep consistent).
Why should you rest as little as possible? When the WOD does not specify then you can take as much as you want. This is what they do in the demo video of this workout. It really changes the nature of the beast if you give yourself 5 min rest or so between rounds and you try to maintain a consistent number.

-Robert
Old 11-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Marshall View Post
Workout A
3 or 4 sets using your max weight for each set (not 1 rep max)
(scale the weights as needed)
55% bw for 12 reps
60% bw for 10 reps
65% bw fpr 8 reps
70% bw for 6 reps
I fail to see how this will efficiently increase strength. Strength work should stay at 5 or less reps per set. Any more and the focus starts to change towards endurance. All forms of variation are not necessarily the same as "better stimulus." Progressive loading whilst working with significantly heavy weights is a preferable stimulus.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 11-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Ryan Gregory

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys.

Anthony - the Q was geared more towards the WOD rather then general chest development.

Humm...seems to be some mixed reviews on taking a break between exercises when not Rx'd
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I'd say if you can't do at least 5 reps on the first set at BW, you would benefit from scaling. Appropriate scaling would be somewhere in the 5-8RM range.

DB's will NOT be a straight-up swap. the 80% recommendation is a good start.

Lynne is NOT for time, and your are not expected to rip through the rounds (or even jump straight from bench to the pullup bar). Pretend you're a bodybuilder for a day and fully rest between excercises.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Greg Privitera

Profile:

I didn't think I said between exercises.

When I said "sets" i meant "rounds", because I think of a superset (no rest in between exercises) as one set.

Sorry for not being clear, let me try again:

It is my understanding that you rest as needed between rounds, but superset the pullups after the bench press.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
I didn't think I said between exercises.

When I said "sets" i meant "rounds", because I think of a superset (no rest in between exercises) as one set.

Sorry for not being clear, let me try again:

It is my understanding that you rest as needed between rounds, but superset the pullups after the bench press.
Lots of people do it that way... not necessarily anything wrong with that, as it's a hell of a workout as well.

If you look at previous threads debating this topic, eventually you'll see Lynne Pitts chime in and tell everyone that they can do it however they want but the workout was intended to allow full recovery between each set, including between sets of bench and pullups.