CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Tim Taylor

Profile:
IF questions

I've done quite a bit of research the last few days about this topic and I'm considering giving it a try to see if it will help me lose the extra BF I have. I am zoning (about 90% of the time) and doing the 3 on 1 off approach to the WOD. My stats are as follows 73"/29yo/243, ideally I would like to get down to around 215-220 over the next several months. I guess what I'm wondering is do I need to make up my caloric intake throughout the day even after an IF night/morning? What is the "recommended" time frame for IF? I've read anywhere from 15-20 hours. Is this something I will have to tinker with to determine what I am able to handle? I am going to try to keep track of my progress once I start and post at least once a week. Thanks for any comments/guidance.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: IF questions

I'm not an expert on the subject but have been fasting intermittently for about 2 months or so. In that time frame I have read quite a bit that is available here and on other forums. My advice first and foremost is to do the same.

To answer your questions:

Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering is do I need to make up my caloric intake throughout the day even after an IF night/morning? ?
Yes. Eat the same number of calories that you would normally - just in a shorter feeding window.

Quote:
What is the "recommended" time frame for IF?
I'm not sure that there is a 'recommended' time frame. Some people do 2 - 5 days a week with 15 - 20 hour fasts. Some do 1 - 3 days a week of 24 - 36 hour fasts. Some do a mixture of all of the above. That is why it is 'intermittent'.

I started out with 17 hour fasts 2 or 3 times a week. Sometimes I would shorten it to 15 (if I snacked at night) but I just try to listen to my body and feed it when it needs to be fed. Now, I am thinking of adding in a 24 hour once every week or so ...

Quote:
Is this something I will have to tinker with to determine what I am able to handle?
Yes. IMHO - This is the best question that you asked ...

There are great blogs concerning IF. Read as much as you can. Good luck - let us know how it goes.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Tim Taylor

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go with it. I'm more or less looking for ideas of steps to take, times that others have implemented, etc. I'll look into the message board and blogs accordingly. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Just to add slightly to Andy's advice, aim to eat the same number of calories, but you may find that you actually consume less on fasting days. If this is the case, eat more occasionally on non-fasting days.

Also, there definitely is no "correct" protocol. Experiment with timing. Start slow (i.e., skip breakfast a few times/week). Gradually increase fasting times until you find a good window. Keep it intermittent (key word). Mix it up. For maximum fat loss, work out while fasting and delay eating afterward.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Brett Dartt

Profile:

this is a site run by mike O'donnell on the board here. it is excellent for info. on the bottom right read those links. IF 101 and fatloss 101
WFS http://www.theiflife.com/
Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Tim Taylor

Profile:

How does everyone space out meals the day after an IF "session"? I'm trying to find a nice balance so I don't feel stuffed all the time. It seems with a smaller eating window it's almost impossible to not feel full all day.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Andrew Ager

Profile:

I've been messing around with IF the last two weeks or so, running ~16-18 hour fasts during the work week, eating normally on the weekends.

I tend to eat between roughly 1:30-2PM and 8:30PM on fasting days, currently 5x/week. I break the rules a bit with a big mug of black coffee each morning, but otherwise, it's all water until I eat in the early afternoon. I eat a biggish salad (with nuts/seeds/meat included), chow down on almonds as spacing snacks, have an apple, then eat dinner as normal, usually 2 helpings. Running this way, I usually feel a touch uncomfortable after dinner, but otherwise fine.

Since I work out at lunch, I've been fitting in fasted WODs as well; in fact, I believe I've only done 2 or 3 non-fasted WODs (I just started CF 2 weeks ago), and I always feel pretty good, so no worries on that end.

I've been keeping about 60% Primal (see http://www.marksdailyapple.com W/F/S), and generally clean, if not Primal (new baby and nursing wife makes it slightly more difficult to be strict.

All that said, I haven't noticed any real changes yet -- I'm targeting the next 10 days as much stricter anti-grain/carb eating, to see how that changes things up.

Anyway, point being, I found it very, very easy to slide in to reasonably long fasts with some regularity. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Tim Taylor

Profile:

So I've been IFing for approximately 3 weeks now, 2-3 times per weeks for about 16 - 18 hrs each time. I've leaned up, dropped weight and feel pretty good. Seems like the only problem I've come across is not being able to eat enough after doing a session of IF. The next day seems like I have to do work to get enough calories. Is this something anyone else experiences? Doesn't seem to be enough time in a day to make up the missing calories from earlier in the day. Is there anyone out there with similar stats from the past? I'm 29/M/235/6'1", I started out doing crossfit/zone 3 months ago and I've dropped about 20lbs and feel almost as good as i did in High School. What weight should I be able to get down to and still feel strong?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
I'm 29/M/235/6'1", I started out doing crossfit/zone 3 months ago and I've dropped about 20lbs and feel almost as good as i did in High School. What weight should I be able to get down to and still feel strong?
that is so subjective that, you have to just find that marker youself. Your body is going to reward you or punish you for going too far.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Unless you have a very large frame and/or a lot of muscle you can probably stand to be at 200 or less even for 6'1. It is so subjective though as frank says. Just keep going until you feel that a) you are getting 'too' lean and/or b) your performance is suffering.

And yes, I do sometimes have a hard time getting all the calories in with If'ing but I have found just takes a bit of discipline & planning, and a lot of nutbutter

You could always just eat more on the days you DON'T fast, therefore making up for eating lightly other days.

Aim for a certain amount each week say,instead of each day. So instead of 2000 per day, try to get to 14000 per week. Or whatever your calorie number is for losing weight.

It seems like it is working out well for you - if you are performing well then don't worry about the numbers so much, your body will tell you if you aren't getting enough.