CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Max Lambert

Profile:
zone college question...

I know this has probably been talked about a billion times but...

Going back to college in a few days, and I've been zoning and loving the results. I have to ask though if it really is necessary to keep the carb blocks so high. I love veggies so I have no problem scarfing them down, but there are two things that make it seem attractive to...well not eat so much of them.

1. Pricing is ridiculous for fresh produce, which y'all know
and
2. Time is limited, its been ok during summer to be preppin' all the veggies, but I don't know how time effective it will be to be making and eating this much.

Granted, I feel great eating all the veggies, but it does take time.

Any suggestions/verbal abuse is appreciated

Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Max Lambert

Profile:
Re: zone college question...

I guess I should follow this with the question of...would eating more fruit be easier?

My breakfast is usually scrambled eggs and salsa, some almonds, and a frozen berry smoothy and then I'll eat an apple at my afternoon snack. Otherwise all my carbs are veggies. I figured it was best to eat more of my carbs from veggies, they're just longer to prepare.

Thanks again
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Yes, fruit is easier.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Paul Epstein

Profile:

is fresh produce REALLY that much more expensive?

as for prep, try veges you can eat raw - brocolli, spinach etc
Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Max Lambert

Profile:

its not that fresh produce is that much more expensive, and I eat tons of frozen broccoli as it is, but its more that fresh fruit tend to be cheaper than fresh veggies
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Max,

You seem to be concerned with time.

I own an affiliate. I coach at the affiliate, and the first class is at 6:30am. I'm in grad school. For my grad assistantship I teach 3 classes, then I do 10 hours of work/research in the sport psychology lab. Then MTW, I have class at night. On those days I'm away from my apartment from 6:00am to 8:00pm, and am literally doing stuff every bit of those days (including the WODs). Right now, I'm Zoning, and have been since right before the semester.

I say these things not to tout how much I actually do, but I say it because time management is key in college, grad school, or the real world. I know you can manage your time around whatever your schedule entails, you just have to be efficient about it.

If you look at your day in blocks of 15 minutes, there are 96 blocks of 15 minutes in your 24 hour day (4 blocks of 15 minutes in each hour, 4x24...we all get the point). I'm sure you can take one (or even two if needed) of those 96 blocks of time in your day to get your food situated. It helps to cook a lot of meat at once too.

So, just think about managing your time in the best way possible. I know you can handle it, so jump on it brotha!

P.S. I ate very healthy before going Paleoish, then Paleo+Zone, and my grocery bill isn't really any different now than it was back then.

On a side note, you may learn to like most veggies raw. I take my broccoli, squash, zucchini, and tomatoes to eat raw. If I have to pack a dinner on those long days, I cut all of those (plus spinach and cucumbers) into a salad.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Max Lambert

Profile:

Time management...what's that...haha

thanks! I know you're right. It'll be good for me to learn to take complete control of my time

I've never eat zucchinis raw, I'll have to give it a try. I do love my broccoli raw...mmmm

Out of curiosity, how long can you keep things like steamed brussel sprouts in the fridge? or can you eat brussel sprouts raw?

thanks for all y'all's help
Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Daniel Mays

Profile:

What you could also try is on workout days to partition more of your carb blocks to a Post Work out meal. I am on budgetary constraints, and bananas are darn cheap sources for carb blocks. I eat 2 bananas and a huge salad after workouts for 8 carb blocks all at once. This saves time and money and I believe that higher GI carbs aren't so bad in the post workout period.

I still think veggies would be the best, but I'm a realist and try to do the best I can with what I have to work with.(plus I love fruit and feel sick eating 8 cups of veggies a meal)

One thing I always say to keep it all in perspective is that people don't get fat eating zone with fruits and veggies as their carbohydrates and exercising nearly every day at 21 years old. I only fatten up a bit when I drink beer for 4+ days in a row.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Paul Epstein

Profile:

you can eat them raw but just eat cabbage instead.

sliced up fine and mixed with good quality mayo (olive oil + egg) makes good coleslaw
Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Andrew Lallos

Profile:

Quote:
1. Pricing is ridiculous for fresh produce, which y'all know
and...
I just graduated college in May, so I feel your pain. The "fresh" produce my school cafeteria offered was obscenely priced.

Outside of school, fresh produce wasn't so bad. On the other hand, "prepared" produce even worse than the fresh offered by school. Prepared produce for me = fruit or vegetable salads, etc. You'd need an extra student loan to regularly afford that stuff.

P.S. I went to St. John's University in Queens, NY if were wondering.

Last edited by Andrew Lallos : 08-29-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: messed up quoting