CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
Tim Luby

Profile:
4-14-08: ME day

Squat (with about 30# of chain)
135x2
185x2
205x2
225x1
245x1 (PR for box squat)

Standing press (with about 17# of chain)
95x2
105x2
115x2
135xfailed
125x1

Deadlift (30# of chain)
185x2
205x2
255x2
300x1
300x1
Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Re: Tim's LOGic

Hey Tim,
if you are after big lifts you should forget about long distance running for now. Distance like 20 miles would burn ALL of your earned muscles and more. It will completely screw up any lifting program, let alone something advanced as you are doing. Sprint and lifting might work well though, as long as you do not do too many of them. If you really want to increase your lifts a lot, you might want to consider putting on some weight, strength increases so much faster when you do not restrict calories.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #13
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Hey Tim,
if you are after big lifts you should forget about long distance running for now. Distance like 20 miles would burn ALL of your earned muscles and more. It will completely screw up any lifting program, let alone something advanced as you are doing. Sprint and lifting might work well though, as long as you do not do too many of them. If you really want to increase your lifts a lot, you might want to consider putting on some weight, strength increases so much faster when you do not restrict calories.
Yep, you're right. I probably won't do any 20-mile runs for a while, but I still plan on getting 1 weekly trail run in. For me, getting out and doing something I love is as important as gaining strength. Is it counter productive? Perhaps; but running through the woods is just too good to pass up!

It's tough being a jack-of-all-trades kinda guy. I value both strength and endurance and I want both! If I could be rated "above average" on both strength and endurance I would be happy. I don't need to be "elite" on one and "above average" on another. This, I suppose, is the type of GPP I'm after.

Anyhow, to totally contradict what I just said, strength is taking a front seat to endurance for now. However, my long-term goal of an endurance/strength balance remains.

Thanks Alex, everything you said makes perfect sense!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
Tim Luby

Profile:

1/4 gone bad

At least I was consistent

Thrusters
5x6

50# pull-ups (dead hang)
5x2

Burpees
5x6

After 8 straight workouts, tomorrow is a rest day.I feel good, but it's definitely time.

Looks like Thursday and Friday are going to be sandbag days.
My wife (Junko) is going on a business trip, so I'm responsible for the little one. We're going to stay at my parent's house and it's a lot easier to transport sandbags.vs a barbell set.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
Tim Luby

Profile:
Rest day

Snore.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #16
Tim Luby

Profile:
4-17-08: 100# sandbag run

100# sandbag run of 1 mile and change - Time? Data bank was full, so my GPS watch didn't record it. Last workout was 17:37 (+/- 1 second) and I'm, sure today's effort was around the same, if not better

First half felt good, second half was tough. It's not so much the legs that tire, but the shoulders. I try real hard not to dump the bag, but sometimes the pain is unbearable. I'm not going to complain about shouldering opportunities anyway--all part of the workout.

I highly recommend sandbag running. It's a real mental workout and I believe it makes you faster. My trail run PR on 4-12 is proof of this.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Tim Luby

Profile:

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #18
Tim Luby

Profile:
4-18/08 Sandbag sprints

3x5 50# sandbag sprints
Alternate 1x10 of high pulls and 1x10 of back squats after each sprint

Time: 17:55
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #19
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Tim, do you think all these sandbag sprints have very similar effect to DE?
Also I noticed that you are doing a lot of core/lower body work and not much upper body. Do you think it would be more beneficial to replace some of these sprints with something like gymnastics (planche/rings/HS variations) workouts?
Right now it looks like you are going to beat 100m world record program which is cool if that's what you want
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 04-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #20
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Tim, do you think all these sandbag sprints have very similar effect to DE?
Also I noticed that you are doing a lot of core/lower body work and not much upper body. Do you think it would be more beneficial to replace some of these sprints with something like gymnastics (planche/rings/HS variations) workouts?
Right now it looks like you are going to beat 100m world record program which is cool if that's what you want
I'm not beating any records anytime soon, my friend. Last week had an extra sandbag workout [and therefore one less strength workout], not by choice, but out of necessity. That being said, I have found these sandbag running workouts to be a huge help to my trail running--a sport that is regaining my focus (I was training for a 50k this winter, got injured and had to stop running for a while, but I'm feeling good now).

So why am I doing a program with a prominent strength component? Well, I wanna be a strong trail runner and I believe my strength gains will have pleny of carryover.

As far as not enough upper body--hmm didn't notice--but you're right. I'm not going to drop the sprints, but adding some gymnastics is a great idea. But where do they fit in?

Thanks so much for the comments. You bring so many thing to mind that I would never think of, which helps me to re-evaluate and really rationalize what I'm doing.