CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
Vincent Falcetta

Profile:  
Question about training for a half marathon. Usually me and the team will run around 3miles a couple days a week. I want to gradually increase the distance while maintaining the same pace. What is a good pace to maintain and any other tips would be great. Thanks.

Vince -CF Japan-
Old 10-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Here's a nice link provided free by the marine corps marathon.

http://www.marinemarathon.com/virtualtraining.php
Old 10-06-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Aaron Jones

Profile:

It's hard to answer the pace question. It really depends on your running skills as they stand. Take a PR you have at an established distance (if you're in the military maybe your last PT test or if you've run a 5k) and go plug it into the running calculator at Mcmillanrunning.com (check the spelling on that, but you'll find it). That will give an estimate of what times you can run at different distances and then give you some training paces.

Rather than simply running more at a faster pace, mix up slow long running and faster short running. For half marathon CF would give you enough sprint work. Right idea with gradually increasing distance, but only do that for one run a week and don't worry about speed. Either go slow and really long, or decide what pace you want to run for your race and see how far you can run at that pace. Gradually increase the distance.

Use those other runs to do various tempo runs. The running calculator will give you a good idea of what pace those should be. Thay could be your three mile runs or last up to 8 mils at various speeds.

So, one long race pace run or longer slow run a week. One or two tempo runs (comfortably hard runs faster than race pace) at three to 8 miles per week. Keep one of those easy shorter runs in there if you don't want to do two tempo runs. And CF should provide your speed work. I think you can easily train for marathon or a half in 3 days a week. Well, not easily but you get the point. And check out that running calculator.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
John Bercaw

Profile:  
If you want really good advice on running that is in the Crossfit vein try Running Research News by Owen Anderson. He's on the web. He's a believer in quality intensive miles instead of junk miles and building strength to improve speed. He gives percentages of vVO2max for different distances and explains how to determine vV02max.

It's a simple field test anyone can do. Warm-up, and then run for six minutes all out on a track. The distance you cover in six minutes is your vVO2max. vVO2max is the pace you can run at your VO2max. 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon and marathon will all be percentages of this.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
Vincent Falcetta

Profile:  
Thanks for all the help. This information is going to really help me out alot. Especially the Mcmillan website. Since I started crossfit my running has vastly improved. I feel confident I'm going to do well in the 1/2 marathon. I dont plan of running for time, I'm doing it to test the challenge. Thanks again.