CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 AM   #21
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's Crossfit/competition KB log

Insane, simply insane!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #22
Cal Jones

Profile:

Kelly, I have to confess when I saw your times and weights I'd always assumed you were a guy (I know Kelly is usually a girl's name, but Kelly Slater is a guy, so...) You are quite the phenom! I always wanted to be very strong, but my stupid joints kept getting injured just when I was starting to make progress.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #23
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Kelly,
Another follower here (don't worry not a stalker). Really impressed with your performance on the WODs. You seem to have great work ethics which I admire and can relate to for lack of natural ability and great genetics. I realize this is your fitness journal, but if you could ever be so kind to expand on your diet in a future post that would be great. I suspect that has a lot to do with your stellar workout times and scores. Considering you are one of the only few elite crossfitters that does not follow the Zone makes it more interesting.
You said in an email that organic greens and cultured veggies account for up to 80% of your diet. How do you prepare your veggies on most days? I'm familiar with the Donna Gates BED diet and the work of the Weston A. Price Foundation, but was hoping to get a better understanding how to apply it to everyday eating/cooking.

I'm sure others are interested in learning more about your diet as well. No rush but if you get a few extra minutes, I would love to hear more about it.

Thanks again and keep throwing up those BIG numbers!

Steve
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #24
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Thanks for answering my question, Kelly. Sounds like a crazy road to where you are today. I'll remember that the next time I'm thinking of smearing chalk where chalk should not be smeared...heh.

I'm with Steve on this one too. I know in one of your older logs you posted a bit about your "work diet". I'd appreciate any sites/guidance/info you could throw out. I've been SO much hungrier since starting Crossfit about a month ago...I'm big on knowing what I can eat.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #25
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Cal - You aren't the first one to think I was a guy by my WOD results. I finally got tired of the PMs asking if I was a boy or girl, so I'm attaching my stats in the name line of the WOD.

Erin and Steve - I'll post more of how I eat after work. Not conventional, but this "diet" has lessened my gut problems more than anything else I've tried. The added bonus is that my athletic performance seems to like it too.

Thanks Sarena and Theresa! Some day in the long distant future I might give Dutch a run for his money.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #26
Kelly Moore

Profile:

6 minute 16k kb snatch set: 63L/61R. 21/20 rpm. Left hand had more remaining; right hand cramping near end of set, forcing a few seconds of overhead resting. I'll stay at this pace and time for at least another week and I will slowly increase my time, maybe by 15 or 30 second per hand increments. I know that idea goes against the belief that you need to make 1 minute per hand jumps, but I need to tailor training to what I am capable of handling. If I were just doing KB lifting one minute jumps would would probably work, but since KB lifting is in addition to the Crossfit WODs I can't manage that big a jump. I need to take small bites out of the elephant to successfully get it down.

5 minute break

Grace - 4:52 65# ATA squat cleans and overhead paused jerks (definitely jerks, not the push presses of old). My O-lift ability is about zero, and won't get any better until I can get coaching. At least I have some idea how to jerk now due to all the kb jerks I've been doing.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #27
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Working night shift due to the weather (freezing rain followed by temps currently at minus 8) making it impossible for the third shift dispatcher to come in to work. I have plenty of snow shoveling and ice removal at the apartment complex waiting for me this afternoon when I go home.

I've been asked to write a little about what I eat. This week's typical workday eating looks like this:

At home after WOD:

2 cups green drink
Large spoonful homemade sauerkraut
1 TBSP cod liver oil
1/2 tsp butter oil

At work:

Raw milk kefir drink

Grassfed liverwurst (just discovered this stuff - yum)
Sauerkraut or chutney
1 TBSP salmon oil

Raw milk kefir drink

At home:

Entire bag of leafy green salad with sprouted flax seeds, tomatoes, onions and soaked/dried nuts. Olive, macademia nut or hempseed oil with pepper dressing.
Chunk of grassfed meat or wild caught fish
Homemade pineapple chutney
1 TBSP cod liver oil
1/2 tsp butter oil

The green drink is made of homemade coconut water kefir, kale leaves, parsley, homegrown broccoli sprouts, 1/2 an apple , 1/2 a lime and some fresh ginger (all organic) dumped into my VitaMix and blended for one minute.

I make my own sauerkraut and chutneys using raw milk whey to get things brewing successfully. I've tried other methods, but this seems to work best and they taste great. I ferment the raw milk kefir with grains - once again, the taste is much better than using the powdered stuff. Sometimes I will make raw milk yogurt instead of kefir for a change.

That's pretty close to a typical day of eating during workdays. An added bonus to eating what I do at work - we have a food thief working at the PD. Someone is eating other's food without permission....pizza, crackers and candies seem to be the stuff of choice. Dirty dishes in the refrigerator are all that remains of what should have been lunch.

Oddly enough my food is NEVER missing.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #28
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Thanks Kelly, for giving us a glance into what you eat on a typical day. I can guess you are a very light eater, at least as it appears above, and would be worried your intake would be enough to satisfy hunger and sustain enough energy. Obviosily this works very well for you though as evidenced by your workout performance, so it doesn't matter much how others would fare. Personally never tried raw milk before, but I'm aware of the benefits and only wish I had a source close by to drink it regularly (despite being lactose intolerant). Closet spot is an 1.5 hrs away uhh! Also I've tried fermenting red cabbage one time before but let's just say it was a total failure.
What I like most about your diet is its simplicity. Nothing too complicated with WAM'ing food or counting calories, just eating good wholesome, fermented and pastured foods as mother nature prescribed. I like that.
Well, thanks again for the write-up and look forward to keeping track of your progress here as you continue to beat up the WOD.

Steve
Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #29
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Steve,

I do eat fairly light the four days I'm at work (10 hour days consisting of sitting and stress), but I eat more on my three days off. Days off are the same basic stuff but I add in more meals - one of them usually involves an organ meat of some kind. As I learn to cook food is becoming more interesting.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #30
Delita Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Theresa,

I think everyone is worried they won't get out of the hole! Besides very slowly adding weight (one pound plates are a wonderful thing, five pounds is too much sometimes), I used to finish my squat workout with 3x3 far below parallel holding squats of 50-70% of my max single. I would stay in the low squat postition for several seconds then power out of the bottom. You could also try rack squats from the below parallel position if you have a power rack. Set up the bar on the spotter arms just below parallel and start the squat from there. You won't have any momentum or stretch reflex helping you so start light and work to maintain solid body mechanics. I remember seeing one experienced guy at the gym increase his squat a good 20# in a 16 week cycle just by adding rack squats to his routine.

Sit back into the squat, pull yourself down with your hip flexors and engage your glutes and hams.....my squat technique has improved since my powerlifting days when I would fold up and try to use nothing but lower back and quads.

I also found that increasing my overall core strength really made a difference. If you can't support the weight, you won't be able to squat with it. Squat without a belt - I wore a belt for everything for years and couldn't do 225x1 without it. I've become a stronger squatter since the belt was put away.

Have good spotters or a power rack set up properly. If you don't have spotters or a rack learn how to dump the weight safely.
Kelly, thank you for taking time to write this out in such detail. This is extremely helpful to me as work on moving my squats from quads to glutes and hams. I had added some extra goblet squats to my warm-up but will switch the extras to rack squats. I'm thinking it will help me progress faster. Thanks!