CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
David Wood

Profile:

Until about 3 months ago, I was an active member of this board, and a reasonably active Crossfitter.

I did the WOD 2, 3, maybe even 4 days/week. My performances were nothing great (strictly middle-of-the-pack), but I was in pretty much the best shape of my life (I'm 49).

On April 6th, I began what turned out to be 3 months of professional hell. At first I thought I'd get through it in a couple of weeks . . then, well, maybe it will take a month to clean up the mess on this project.

Three months later, I've had 10 straight 70-hour weeks (sometimes 90, one time 100+). During this time I did 10 "overnighters" (which is probably more than I did in 6 years of grad school).

Needless to say, my condition has gone to hell. I gave up on doing the WOD sometime in the first month . . . gave up training (of any kind) for the last 6 weeks or so. (I have managed to go jogging with my daughter a couple of times over this period).

Today, I attempted my first serious workout in almost 12 weeks. It wasn't a WOD (I don't want to die just yet), but it was interesting (and ugly):

5 rounds of:
C&J with 115 - 135 pounds
5 Chinups
10 situps
10 squat thrusts.

Took about 20 minutes. Not great, but not as bad as I feared.

Then tried rowing on the C2 (the guys at the gym that I train at have gotten serious about rowing, and I'm taking some serious dis'ing about their condition relative to mine).

Pulled 1:48 for 500 meters. Not too bad. Rested and tried again. I was half-way into a 1:39 set (for 500m) when Pukie came and joined me. Ugh.

So, how long can I expect it to take to get back into decent shape? (Let's assume I can get back to my old standard: WOD 2 - 4 days/week, plus one track workout with my daughter).

Dave
Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Dave, don't sweat it. The break could almost be a good thing if it wasn't associated with stress and lack of rest. However, our bodies retain a remarkable amount of their strength, skills and conditioning. I think that with proper nutrition, training and rest you should see significant improvement in two weeks time.

Remember to keep a positive outlook!:happy:
Old 07-15-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Most research points to a time period equal to the time off for a return to your previous level of fitness.

You are a obviously a real athlete. I congratulate you. In my coaching practice I have seen events such as yours turn former exercisers into sedentary slugs.

Inch by inch it’s a cinch!

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 07-15-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
research shows that it takes more than twice as long to lose it as it did to gain it, and about half as long to get it back as it did the first time. plus i agree that the body needs a break every once in a while, although i would not call what you did a break on the body. only a strong mind could come back from that. nicely done