CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Joey Roman

Profile:
Zone for the college student?

I really want to change my diet so I can get more cut up. But when I look at the zone diet it seems like a bunch of complicated meals that take too much preparing to do. Also, the meals have a lot of veggies like onions and peppers that I don't even like.

Is there an easier way? A diet that can be prepared quickly and easily? And doesn't use so many different ingredients?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Colin Hughes

Profile:
Re: Zone for the college student?

Where are you getting your info? A Dr. Sears Zone book can be confusing.

Crossfit Journal #21 is as about as easy as it gets. See the following link;

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf

Good luck,
Colin
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Joey Roman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Hughes View Post
Where are you getting your info? A Dr. Sears Zone book can be confusing.

Crossfit Journal #21 is as about as easy as it gets. See the following link;

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf

Good luck,
Colin
Thanks a lot. That page makes it all so much easier

I made the mistake of searching the site on google and didn't get very useful information. Just a bunch of meals to make, which I would never make nor like.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

If your getting food from the dining halls, then it's "simply" a matter of getting really good at eyeballing macronutrients.

Here's a few examples of what I've been ordering:

Hamburger w/ cheese and no bun + extra lettuce (your new bun), big salad w/ dressing, small veggie chili, apple.

Salmon filet, salad, fruit medley + sunflower seeds.

Chicken stir-fry, except don't have them load on the crazy teriyaki sauce. Insist on olive oil, sciracca, or just water instead. Acount for your own carbs and fat. Skip the rice.

My whole dining plan is "a la carte," so I end up spending a lot because of weighing salads and stuff. Oh well, a pound of salad is way more filling than 1 slice of bread. I am probably eating fewer calories, but higher quality and balanced ones.

In fact, I have started cooking some meals on my own just to counterbalance all the dining money I rip through. This is a good time to break out the measuring cups and food scale to refine your eyeball skills and dial in a solid meal.

And CFJ 21 is where it's at. Also, I refer to these two sites a ton (wfs):
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
http://www.mitymous.net/weights/zoneblox.htm

Also, if you have a minifridge in your room, then you can always stock up on quality items like fruit, veggies, plain yogurt, and cottage cheese. More longer-lasting things I have are raw almonds, raw walnuts, beef and turkey jerky, and a variety of tea.

Last edited by Ben Moskowitz : 11-16-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

With a $50 microwave and a $30 Foreman grill, you can rock your nutritional world. Some ideas:

1) Nuke a lamb sausage and chick peas together for 4 minutes in a tupperware container. Throw veggies into one of those new Glad microwave steaming bags and cook at the same time.

2) Buy lean ground chicken, beef or turkey....or canned tuna. Add an egg, ground flax meal, and maybe all-in-one Indian spices (or other spices.) Cook 2-3 minutes per side in the Foreman grill. As it's cooking, chomp away on a cucumber and a tomato.

3) Buy a big package of chicken thighs. (Much cheaper than boneless chicken breasts.) Add crushed red pepper. Cook in Foreman grill. Keep in a tupperware container in the fridge for use over the next 2-3 days. Can be cut into slices for use in salads or nuked to be eaten on its own.

4) If you can afford fresh salmon, just pierce with a fork and nuke...after adding fresh lemon juice, chives, salt, and pepper.

5) Breakfast. Add to plain zero fat yogurt: seedless grapes (or other fruit), peanuts or peanut butter, and maybe protein powder,

Last edited by Daniel Freedman : 11-16-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Ian Jimenez

Profile:

I seem to be in the same boat, I have trouble finding what to eat, in addition to crossfit I'm going to be swimming 5 to 6 thousand yards of swimming a day approx. 2 1/2 hours a day. I have the problem of not wanting to eat to much while at the sametime not bonking mid-workout.

The dinning hall seems to provide a lot of unhealthy options but at the sametime it lacks, a lot of health option, (ie burgers and pizza everyday for lunch) I have some meals figured out like lunch, deil sandwich/ tuna sandwich plus water and two pieces of fruit but the hardest thing for me is breakfast, the options are waffles(unknow batter), a fruit smoothy ( 3-4 types plus jucies, and yoguret) and eggs, bacon and potatoes. All of this is self serve but I really don't know what would be the best, way to get a balanced meal.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Breakfast:
Stay away from fruit juice, potatoes, and cereals. All are glycemic - raise blood sugar. Go for the eggs. If you can get an omelet with veggies and lean turkey ham, that's much better. Fresh fruit is good. So is yogurt -- but only if it is plain zero fat yogurt. (Some yogurts - including low fat yogurt-- are loaded with processed, refined sugar: very bad.) If there is peanut butter available: try adding it to your yogurt...maybe with chocolate protein powder you bring along.

Lunch:
Stay away from sandwiches. The bread will do you no good. If there's no choice, throw away the top half of the bread in the sandwich. Just eat the meat or tuna or salmon along with fruit. Maybe bring your own nuts.