CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Mark Louis Simmons

Profile:
"PAD" Question on HELP for Improvement

I am a 52 yr old male. I have had diabetes since the age of 4. I have had double by=pass surgery in 1997 and a transplant (kidney / pancreas) 5 years ago. I have started working out about 1 year ago and then I started the crossfit training (scaled down a little) about 2 months ago and really enjoy it. I am sure I am getting in better condition because of it. My partner and I work out at the YMCA during lunch every day.

My question is that I took a stress test at the heart doctor’s office yesterday and my legs due to diabetes and poor circulation (PAD) gave out before my heart rate reach what they wanted. So my question is does anyone know of or have any suggestions / modifications to the daily workouts you can make to help my leg strength and/or circulation in my legs? Even something that I need to do in addition?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: "PAD" Question on HELP for Improvement

I know all the exercise science isn't very crossfit-like, but some of this stuff can probably be used in your situation:

http://www.fascatcoaching.com/intervaltypes.html

Check it out, possibly increased muscle capillarization could help out, or something like that. I'm not too keen on the effects of diabetes on the circulatory system, so I don't know what to recommend.