CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Christine Crawford

Profile:
Baby steps - cutting out some sugars

What was the article by Nicole Caroll - "Getting off the crack"? I'm trying. I gave up some of my daily sugary treats. I know this sounds awful but I was consuming about 300 additional calories per day in just pure sugar. Bubble gum, skittles, etc. you get the idea. If I wasn't eating, I had candy or gum in my mouth. It became a bad habit. I'm the type of person that cannot sit still so I think the constant chewing was my form of fidgeting. I'm trying real hard and slipped once this week but will continue to make small improvements eventually going to a Zone or Paleo lifestyle. I do LOVE fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and a great cut of tenderloin. I eat like that daily. However, since I'm giving up the "crack", my appetite has increased exponentially. Is this probably temporary? I've been eating volumes of fruits and veggies and whole grain breads. Mmmm I love toast and butter. What can I do to satiate myself a bit more without getting too many additional calories?? Man, getting off the crack is hard! I'm still eating my low sugar ice cream every night. That will have to go after this first phase...baby steps! On a side note, I've noticed that my mood is much more stable and my mid-section looks less "full".
Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Baby steps - cutting out some sugars

Christine;

Baby steps are good.

Someone in my office just sent this to me:

As celebrated climber Royal Robbins once told me, "When it's been a long day of climbing, and I feel like I can't go any farther, I concentrate on the next three feet. And then the next three feet; and then the next three feet. Pretty soon, I'm at the top."

Good stuff
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Christine Crawford

Profile:

Jay, indeed, that is a great quote. I understand the philosophy. I am an ultrarunner. For me it's "Just make it to the next aid station. Take it easy and trust you will get there. Be patient."
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Ultra runner, ouch. Did a trail 50K few years back, too many marathons, gave up running 1.5 yrs ago, started eating meat after being a Veg for 20yrs and now, drink the CF Kool Aid big time.

Suggest you run fast from this site as it can be life altering, and in more ways then you can imagine. Trust me on this. CF is like a the best quicksand you ever want trapped in.

Best of luck, look forward to hearing you progress.

3-2-1-Go
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Christine Crawford

Profile:

TOO LATE! I've been following CF and training with CF Milwaukee for over a year now.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Oops, you're obviously hooked.
Nice job training with affiliate.
Maybe we'll bump at a Cert.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Chris Chaplow

Profile:

Great job. FYI - that bread you are eating is as good as sugar.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Christine Crawford

Profile:

Yes, I know I need to eliminate bread from my diet too. Right now, I'm focusing on the pure sugar I put in my mouth. I have always been very aware of what's good for me and what's bad for me. I just never followed my own advice. I figured that since I'm working so dang hard in training, I need to work just as hard with my diet so I can see all that beautiful muscle I'm building AND it's just a shame to hurt my body by pumping in all that icky stuff. I think my increased appetite is due to eliminating some of that sugar. I'm making up for it with good foods. But, how much fruit and veggies is too much? It's a difficult task and I will never have a perfect diet because I enjoy things such as ice cream, cookies and chips. I love my morning coffee with cream too. I'm a work in progress at age 38.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Great job Christine! Getting rid of the pure sugar is a great first step. Chris is right about bread, but in the grand scheme of things, you're better off eating bread than Skittles. Change doesn't happen overnight, so it isn't really expected that you'll go from your current diet to pure Paleo overnight. If you get to the point that cream in your coffee is your worst transgression, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Give yourself a few weeks to get over the cravings and take whatever your next step is (cutting back on grains is a good one). Practice that for a few weeks and then take another step. As for how much fruit and veggies is too much: veggies you pretty much can't overeat and there was a thread on fruit consumption within the past few weeks.

Good stuff!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Christine;

What Scott said x 2.

Check out his blog, very good reading.