CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Ben Krey

Profile:

Let me start by saying that if you have the opportunity to take O-lifting coaching, DO IT. It has taught me more about proper posture and functional movement than any other type of training. I took 4 sessions from Dave at Crossfit North and it was money WELL SPENT!!!

Ok, so I was joking around with Dave, asking him if I'm going to be able to dunk a basketball someday if I keep lifting (I think in my freshman in college days I could grab the rim). I haven't played basketball in a few years but have been doing modified (highly) crossfit since about November. I've also been working on o-lifts for the last few months (getting distracted from the WOD).
Anyhow, this weekend I played a pickup game with the neighbor kids and surprised myself with my own speed and increased ability to handle the ball. We were dunking on a lowered rim. Raised it to 9' and could still dunk in traffic with 2 hands. In fact, I was dunking from flat-footed at 9'. Clicked it up to 9.5 and could still throw it down (without a defender). I will have to measure to make sure it was really 9'6", but WOW.

anyone else have this kind of experience? I can't wait to see what this has done for my racquetball game... or better yet, volleyball. The funny thing is that I am nowhere close to being in the kind of shape that most people who post on this site are in.

-Ben
Old 04-12-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Sonia Ng

Profile:

Agreed. When I first started toying with WODs beginning of Feb 2005(@2-3 WODs with an Oly-Lifts emphasis) - I printed out instructions & viewed short demo clips transferred to my iPAQ.

But I wasn't feeling the "pop",so I scheduled 2 X 1 hr Oly-Lifts sessions in March.

Immediate return on investment-greater confidence executing the lifts,technique break-downs,etc.

I have another 1-hr session scheduled for tomorrow.

Improvements in my squash game include quicker ball-retrieval,superior volleying(still suck at it-but it has improved) & harder serves.

Carry-over to bball & volleyball makes perfect sense. The vball/bball/hockey teams(male + female) at my local college do Oly-lifts.
Standard practice in my community.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Sonia Ng

Profile:

Mind you-since I'm waaaaayy shorter then many of my opponents-anything that helps me jump higher helps! :>
Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
I read a comparison of athletes once that listed O-lifters as having the best standing high jump.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Ben Krey

Profile:

yeah, I have seen that stated a couple of places online. It says:
Pound for pound, Olympic weightlifters have a greater level of speed-strength than any other class of athletes in all of sport. This fact was made very clear during a massive scientific expedition carried out on the athletes at the Mexico City Olympics in 1964.
Sports scientists found that Olympic lifters were able to both vertical jump higher than any class of athletes (including the high jumpers), and run a 25 yard dash faster than any class of athletes (including the sprinters).

I wish I could find the actual study... also the one that says that olympic weightlifters are second only to gymnasts in flexibility.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:08 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm always amazed when I do an activity that is new or that I haven't done since B.C. (before Crossfit...I stole that, so kudos to whomever thought that up).
Old 04-14-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Exactly Larry.
When I think back a couple years BC, hiking and biking the local hills was like a major expedition.
They're just speed bumps now.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Larry,
The first double leg takedown I did after having been on CrossFit for about 4 months, I actually let the guy go in the air because I was afraid if I slammed him from that height I'd hurt him.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
Stephen Troy

Profile:

"This fact was made very clear during a massive scientific expedition carried out on the athletes at the Mexico City Olympics in 1964."

Not to poop on O-lifting, but a year or two back some folks tried to verify this actually happenning, and as far as anybody can tell it's a myth. Debunking this particular quote, the '64 Olympics weren't in Mexico.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/9532.gif

Yep those O-lifters and their mythical jumping abilty...'tis true the 64 Olympics were in Tokyo the 68 were in Mexico City...however O-lifting being basicly "jumping with weights in your hands" it's hard to find a group of athletes more powerfull. Post a link to the debunking...I challenge thee:kiss: