CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
Victor Cruzeiro

Profile:
Hello everyone,
I was hoping there were some Toronto area crossfitters out there who might be able to point me in the right direction.
The Olympic bar I'm currently using is one I bought years in one of those 300lbs of weights + bar deals. This was before I knew better of course.
I'm looking to upgrade and I'd love to simply purchase a crossfit bar or another that Mr. Pendlay offers on his site but I fear the shipping would crush me as I have a limited budget.
Anyone out there know any local retailers who offer quality bars at a reasonable price?
The only thing I've been able to find is this (linksafe):
http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Olympic-Bar-Lifetime-Guarantee-P333C24. aspx
I actually went to the store and gave the bar a try with a few power cleans. It spins pretty nicely (compared to my current bar) but I don't know who the manufacterer is (employee's product knowledge wasn't so great) or whether it is actually worth the price.
So, advice, comments? I'd appreciate anything!

Thanks,
Victor
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
Hi
Im in Toronto as well.
So far I havent found any deals locally on bars except the DHS Bars offered at the Toronto Weightlifting School
http://torontoweightlifting.com/shopbars.htm
and the Hampton Bars from Advantage Fitness in Markham.

But I would recommend buying an AMERICAN made bar and just paying the shipping costs. It will be around $50 to ship from America to Canada, and if its american made and not from overseas the duty charges will be reduced. You will still pay an importing fee.

So consider the Pendlay Bar! The shipping wont cursh you THAT much, and everyone raves about it so its likely better than anything you will get around here. Canada has poor selection.

Allison foreman at York also offers a Bar that many have said is great at $210. Same deal. $50 shipping. Not sure if the bar is made overseas or not. To compare there is a dealer (I forgot where, but you can contact the York Supplier in Ontario) that sells the Same Bar for 449+tax. Everything you will buy in Canada has already been jacked up by retailers because of importing fees, oil prices etc. So deals are hard to come by.

(Message edited by mks on February 13, 2007)
Old 02-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Allison Foreman

Profile:
The York North American Needle Bearing Oly Training Bar (32110)is made from steel from Pennsylvania, but actually manufactured in Ontario at one of York's plants there. E-me if you have an interest!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
There ya go!
North American Made!
Id go with the York Bar over that fitness depot bar just based on all the great reviews on this board.

Maneesh

(Message edited by mks on February 13, 2007)
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Victor Cruzeiro

Profile:
-Maneesh,
Seems like you've done alot of research. Thanks for the input. I think you're probably right about ordering from the US. Selection in Canada is pretty limited so ordering through the States might be neccesary. Did you talk to the Toronto Crossfit affiliate? I wonder if it's possible to order equipment through them?

-Allison
I'll send you a PM, I'd like to hear more about that bar!

Thanks!
Victor
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Folks,
the only deals you are going to find here are either from Glenn Pendlay or Allison.

Either way you're getting a deal you can't beat from anyone else in the country so those are your options. Our gym is outfitted entirely with Pendlay bars and the dumbbells, racks and trees are all York thanks to Allison.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
-Victor
Most of my info came from asking glenn and allison a million questions.
Both very helpful people.:biggrinthumb:
Search the board. You will find tons of great info on the different bars available in America. Once you decide which one, find out who sells them and go for it!