CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
The CrossFitter's Best Friend (AKA Home Depot) has some very nice Farmer's Walk Bars but they keep them in a bunch of separate boxes. Here's my first effort:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34572.jpg

My first thought was that the weights needed to be really far from your legs to keep out of the way of your gait. I also thought I could put the pieces together solidly by screwing in the top and bottom horizontal pieces into one side then backing them out into the other. Nope, makes for a wiggly implement. Here's my second effort.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34573.jpg

I went back to HD and had the plumbing guy cut the 24" weight sleeve pieces into two 12" pieces saving the extras (I bought enough for two implements but will make more) for the next pair I make. I got two 3" nipples (this is all made with 1 1/2" pipe for a 2" outer diameter) and a pipe union for each side.

So for what you see in the second photo you need two 90 degree angles, two T connectors, four 12" pipe sections with two threaded at both ends and two threaded at just one end, four 3" nipples and two pipe unions. And a pipe wrench. Don't buy 12" nipples. Get a 10' section of pipe and have someone from plumbing cut it up and thread the ends. Much cheaper.

First assemble the 12" pipe between the two 90's and the two T's and put the 3" nipples into the downward facing end of the 90 and the upward facing end of the T. Screw the non-rotating end of the union onto the top piece on each side. Now line up the bottom section and screw down each side a few turns at a time. When everything is screwed down hand tight and it's all square get out your pipe wrench and tigten it all down. With weight on the implement your gait sortens a bit and the 12 inch handles were plenty for me. I went to a place out here called Exercise Equipment Center for the collars wanting the cheap screw down kind. I asked the guy if he had any and he said he did not...well except for the cheap screw down kind. I told him those were what I was looking for and got 8 of them. I asked him how much and he said they were free. They are the collars that come with the weight sets and nobody wants them. Score.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #2
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Nice. I was thinking of rigging up something like that. I'm kinda hooked on, "lopsided," lifts lately. Heavy weight in one hand, heavy sandbag on other shoulder. Down/up... wash, rinse, repeat. Then, switch the weights and do it again. Pretty cool. Thanks.

Dan
Old 12-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Eugene,

Do you ever actually go to work? :gunsmilie:

Best,

Jon
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Eugene,
You are simply awesome. Now that's something my simple mind can grasp.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jon - as it turns out I work a lot, much more than my regular 40 hour a week gig at the Sheriff's Department. I have a couple off duty jobs (driving school and Pierce Transit) and I train people in my gym almost daily sometimes a couple times a day. I get callouts for SWAT and for serious injury/fatality collisions (I am a tehnical collision investigator) and I have to work extra now and then to teach defensive tactics and a program called Active Shooter when I can't work it into my regular work schedule. I have my triathlon training to tend to, a wife and kids to keep happy, and the addition of a rookie to teach for the month of January...and another one after him I'm sure. Curves calls me now and then to teach a self defense class to their interested clients and every other Friday during SWAT training (tomorrow for example) the team comes to the gym at my house for whatever group PT hammerfest I can dream up. There's more, but that's the brunt of it.

What's my secret? I'm really good at multi-tasking and time management but more importantly I don't need much sleep. I don't watch TV, my kids love to be in the gym and I just love to tinker with the creation of new equipment, exercises and workout combinations. I have yellow notepads all over the place where I jot down things that come to mind and I am a voracious collector of anything that has to do with what we all do. Books, videos, DVD's, articles, logs, websites...I am constantly on the lookout for interesting stuff to learn from or play with. I come up with stuff because it is what I am perpetually doing with my brain.

Thank you Arden. That coupler thing is the secret to making this device. Once I put that thing on I was able to torque everthing down really tightly and make the thing feel like a one piece unit. By the way, that hand tighten thing I said in the first post only applies to the coupler. You need to torque down both the 90 degree angle and T connector pieces as tightly as possible before you attach the coupler. I found that we have a place nearby that builds log homes so I'll be contacting them about my lifting log project.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Eugene,
If you would have had the plumbing guy put a reverse thread on one end of the down tubes you wouldn't have needed the coupler.

Though the pipe threader at your particular HD may not have that option. Luckily my dad has one, I'm making a couple sets for the new gym.

Thanks for the idea
Old 12-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
You called it right...the Home Depot device did not have a reverse threat option. That method eliminates the need for the coupler of course and simplifies the implement a bit.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #8
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Thanks! I'll be making a pair soon. You should make your own website, seriously.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
Eugene you are just too awesome.
Besides, sleep is overrated anyway.:yawn:

I always tell my wife that sleep is for mortals.:lol:

Hey you should look into getting some of your ideas patented.

And in closing Iwould like to add that I am now at post "1000"
:banana:
Do I get a free Zone snack or something?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Peter,
no you get ridiculed for spending so much time online! :icon_smile_joke:

Don't worry I'm not far behind you.

Eugene,
you you should write a column for the newsletter, something like, "Eugene's Hardcore Garage" or something. What do you think?