CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Vincent Tam

Profile:
Hey guys, I'm curious if any crossfitters have been on the zone while running a marathon. I have a marathon coming up in two weeks, and I've been following the zone. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should eat prior to the marathon? And during it? I know lots of people carb load so I'm thinking of eating maybe 30 blocks a day for the days prior to the marathon so i can get in the amount of carbohydrates i need. I'm also planning to fat load. Does this sound like a good idea? I also know that lots of people eat those...sugary goo stuff during the marathon to get their energy. Should I do that also, or should i try bringing in a different type of food to give me energy?

I'm 17 and weigh about 135 pounds btw. I know a 6 block meal is the maximum amount one can eat per meal, and considering you're supposed to eat 5 meals a day, I'm ASSUMING eating 30 blocks won't drive me out of the zone.. Anyone with experience with doing a marathon in the zone or who just knows stuff about nutrtition please give me your opinions. Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
If you are fat adapted you should be able to get by on just fluid with electro lights, in theory at least. That would be a cool experiment.
Has anybody done a marathon in ketosis?

(Message edited by kmckay on July 17, 2007)
Old 07-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
If you are fat adapted

Everyone is adapted to burn fat as fuel. That's why people get fat from carbs. They are burning fat instaed of glucose so the glucose is not needed and gets converted to fat to be used later as fuel.

Regardless, you will never use fat to power aneorbic work. If you're running hard enough to bulid up lactic acid, you need sugar. It will either come from your muslces or your diet.

This crossfit person is training for a marathon doing the zone. She will probably help you. She's a coach at headquarters. Link is safe for work and family.

http://sharikeener.blogspot.com/
Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Charlie the troll as always, if somebody has been eating low carb for a while and and has gone through the 2 week transition (anybody who has done this will know what I am talking about) is more suited to do a marathon with fat as the primary fuel. I have been eating 40-80 gram cho for almost a year and never get low blood sugar and can skip days without food with little energy lag. Little different.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
I don't see how Charlie's post can be seen as trolling, he posted an opinion and a useful link, but any way.

There are a number of successful endurance athletes training on moderate to low carb diets. However from what I've read the general prescription is train low carb, compete high carb. I believe this also tallies with the Paleo Diet for Athletes.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Kevin ONeall

Profile:
I've done several marathons on low carb. It can be done but expect your pace to be a lot slower than if you've loaded up on carbs. Some people may be able to run on fat but I never could. If there's been a benefit from lowcarb, it's that I need less carb during the run. I tried the Zone Diet several years ago. It caused the same slow pace as lowcarb. I'd suggest carb loading for a couple days before the run. Then use gels during the race.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Vincent Tam

Profile:
Thanks for all of the opinions guys. Well, considering I've been following the zone and I only have a week until the marathon, do you guys think I should even continue following it? I'm afraid that if my body gets hormonally adapted to the Zone, my body will freak out when i start carb loading. With this last remaining week, should I break the zone and prepare for the carb loading, or what?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Ellen Stenard

Profile:
You might check out Stu Mittleman's book, Slow Burn. He's a believer in The Zone for distance running and anti carb loading.