CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Aaron Blenkush

Profile:
Could anyone recommend a good nutrition log site? I am currently using FitDay to keep track of my meals. I just chose the food items from their database, or enter in the nutrition facts manually for "custom foods". It tracks all the nutrition facts except sugar and a few vitamins and minerals.

It has been such a huge help in keeping my caloric intake up (trying to gain some muscle mass). It also showed I was eating about 40% carbs and 20% protein, so I'm trying to switch that around. It's a good site, but does anyone know of a better or comparable site? I've tried The Daily Plate and My-Calorie-Counter, but they don't have the same features and are restricted shareware.

I would definitely recommend this site to something looking for an easy way to track their diet. It is easy to use and has a few useful graphing tools, but I'm looking for something more advanced. I will probably keep using it until I program my own or find a better program :-)

FitDay does offer desktop software that might be what I need, but I'm not sure if I want to gamble the $30.

(Message edited by bluefantasm on July 19, 2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
I use fitday as well and like it. I used to use myfooddiary.com, which charges about $10 per month.

I also discovered that my carbs/fats/protein levels were out of whack, but I've remedied that because of fitday.

Have you thought about buying the software fitday sells? Does anyone have experience with it?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Been using Fitday for about a month, it's been a great help, along with the Paleo diet, doing the WOD each day and reading every post and posting to the boards. Sorry to hijack the thread. Just my 1 cent.
Might buy the disk instead of the download as I'd want to use on numerous computers(all mine).
Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Aaron Blenkush

Profile:
It looks pretty good, although I've only used the free version of fitday for a few days, so I'm just trying to shop around before making the investment .

With Crossfit as a rough guide I gained lean muscle mass at a rate of .16 kg/week since about a year ago. This was without any specific diet, I just started eating a lot more food. A lot of it was junk.

I'm trying to maintain that rate, but after a two month period without working out I'm getting back into things and I think its time I took an objective look at my diet. I've already become aware of many ways I can eat healthier. I don't know if I want to rely on a computer program to tell me what to eat, since my instincts seem to suit me okay, but I do realize that I can learn a lot from experimental data!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Cheryl M. Adkins

Profile:
[face=verdana,arial,helvetica][/face]Hello all, I'm new to the boards, but not to CF. I'm a 45 year old female and I've been doing CF along with the Zone diet for about a year. Like most people I thought I was in good shape when I started CF only to find out I wasn't. CF has helped me get in better shape and drop some bodyfat. The Zone has been my answer on how to eat. I've tweaked the blocks here and there to get to where I felt good all the time and my workouts were good as well.
My question is concerning my desire to get leaner. My weight is around 148 (don't use the scale much) and my BF is about 21-22%. Currently I'm eating about 10-11 blocks a day and doing CF 5X a week. While I have gotten a bit leaner since starting CF I feel like I've hit a wall and can't get past it. I read on another post where someone using the Zone calculater typed in their desired weight and BF to see how many blocks they should eat and worked their way to that. I tried that and in most cases it came up with around 14 blocks. Maybe I don't understand the nutrition factor as well as I should, but eating more food to get lean doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm missing the obvious somewhere, but I'd certainly appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to accomplish this.}
Old 07-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Aaron Blenkush

Profile:
Cheryl, your question might be out of the scope of this thread, but I think its fortunate that the nutrition journals we have discussed may help you with determining your goal blocks per day.

The nutrition journal Fitday (http://www.fitday.com - w/f/s) seems to be the one most people are using -- I started this thread to see if anyone knew of any other comparable journal that was also free. Though Fitday uses the more traditional nutritional semantics, rather than measuring food in blocks a la Zone Diet, I think it would help you find out the impact of what you eat. I made many major modifications to my diet after a few days of logging my meals and analyzing the graphs. Its free and takes like 2 minutes to set up.

Since the Zone diet is a low carb high protein diet, it would help you figure out just how many of your calories per day are fat, carbs, or protein.

You can even enter in your activites (work, play, exercise) and see if you're taking in more calories than you expend.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Alisha Kowalewski

Profile:
Hi Cheryl,
I have been on the zone for a few years now and when I first began I wanted to lose a little weight, so I decreased my calories. I became stagnet (I hope that is how you spell it) with my weight and didn't understand. I talked to a well respected trainer and nutritionist and he explained this to me: When you are active you need enough calories to support your resting metabolic rate as well as any activities that you are involved in. If you do not get enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode, decreasing your metabolism and storing fat. Once you increase your calories (try by 2 blocks and change as needed), and your body is receiving enough nutrients to support you, your metabolism increases and you will begin to lose unnecessary weight. Also, everytime you eat, it takes energy to digest your food, so your metabolism increases even more the more often you eat(about 6 times a day). This is all pending that you are pretty active and eat a healthy diet like the zone. When I increased my calories by 4 blocks, I lost all the weight I wanted and then some to the point that I was still so calorie resrticted that I had to increase my blocks by 2 more in order to stop losing weight (I am now at 18+ blocks a day). I am an extremely active 27YOF and now weigh 126# with just under 10% body fat. I have never had more energy and my performance in my activities has skyrocketed. I hope that this helps a bit. I am pretty sure that I explained it right, but increasing your calories (blocks) can definitely help you lose weight.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Cheryl M. Adkins

Profile:
Alisha,
Thanks for your post (you too Aaron), I appreciate them both. I understand what you are saying about not enough calories and starvation mode, I've heard of that, but just didn't think it applied to me (dah!) I guesss I am somewhat paranoid about eating more food (fearful of gaining weight), but it certainly makes sense and is worth a try at this point. I'll let you know how it works out, thanks again.