CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Aaron Kromer

Profile:  
Hello all, new member here. Checking in for the first time. I feel the best way to approach this is to throw myself in full force (of course scale the workouts to fit me, but I'm sure pukie will be a friend :lol:). Just a little about myself, I'm a student in Pittsburgh pursuing a B.S. in Psychology and Computer Science (yes odd combo I know, but it keeps me sane). I was turned on to CF during a brief trip to Japan by some Budo friends. I plan on starting the Beginner's workout (CFJ May 2003) tomorrow. Unfortunately, my school doesn't have the best facilities and I'm your typical broke college student so a fancy gym is out of the way (so is the garage gym), but I'll find a way to kick my *** the CF way.

I've searched the boards (spent several hours reading up on stuff), but I am confused about the quantities listed in the May 2004 CFJ issue on meal plans. For a 1 block carb, cooked spinach is listed as 1 1/3 cup. Is this the precooked size or the post cooked. I'm a big fan of spinach (just add a little garlic and EVOO) and I know from experience that 12 oz. of spinach can be cooked down to <1/2 cup in 3 min. I know this isn't a big deal for other foods like green beans, but for the leafy veggies (spinach, bok choy, swiss chard, even the squashes, etc.) the post-cooked size doesn't come close to the pre-cooked. A little help would be appreciated.

I look forward to joining the fam.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Welcome aboard, I think that is the cooked amount. Raw it will vary between where you get your info from. I use Larry's list found in Lynnes' FAQ on the main page and it's 4 cups raw and 1 1/3 cups cooked. Larry list is a great and more thorough list. It's found here http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm

Jeremy
Old 08-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Aaron Kromer

Profile:  
Thanks for the link, it will become very useful. As I was browsing it two more questions popped into my head: what to drink? REAL cranberry juice?

What to drink? What do people who are CF and doing the Zone drink? Is it mostly water? I just bought "The Zone" and haven't had time to read very far yet. Just curious what I should be focusing my liquid intake on.

REAL cranberry juice? I'm assuming the juices listed in these lists are the standard store bought ones loaded with HFCS and CS (high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup respectively). And that the cranberry juice is of the cocktail variety. What about real cranberry juice? As in just juice from cranberries. I'm going to be going through Initiation (http://initiation.warriorschool.com/) in September and have been told that drinking cranberry juice is good to clean out the body. I have been lucky to find real cranberry juice at a specialty store, and was wondering how that fit in with the Zone and CF's recommendations. Any thoughts.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Aaron,
Welcome aboard. I'm going to move this thread to Nutrition, where hopefully you'll get some more views and answers.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I don't really drink juice, so I can't answer that. I drink a lot of water, 2-3 cups of coffee on work days 1-2 on my off days and milk for breakfast. I drink milk with breakfast primarily because I'm not usually hungry in the morning and it is easy blocks.
As my disclaimer though I only started the zone at the beginning of the month, so wait for an experienced answer.

Jeremy
Old 08-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
What to drink?

Water, lots and lots of water.

And usually a beer with dinner.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Aaron- Welcome aboard!

"I have been lucky to find real cranberry juice at a specialty store, and was wondering how that fit in with the Zone and CF's recommendations."

Check the label. Any food or drink can be consumed. It is the quantity that is crucial. 9g of carb = 1 block. So divide the total quantity of carbs per serving by 9 to find out how much of that particular juice = 1 block.

"For a 1 block carb, cooked spinach is listed as 1 1/3 cup. Is this the precooked size or the post cooked."

1 1/3 c. Cooked spinach means take the measurement post - cooking.