CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Graeme Howland

Profile:
Re: Ufc 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Winenger View Post
Shane Carwin and Fedor might be a couple of exceptions...'might'....Carwin is still largely untested...and...we can debate on how good Fedor really is as well...his streak is impressive against any list of opponents...but...I question if they are really top MMA fighters at that weight. I am among the list that want to see FE fight some 'real' talent.

Just my two cents...
Huh, see FE fight some real talent? Have you looked at his records and seen his fights (Crocop, Big Nog, Coleman, Randleman etc., not to mention complete domination of lesser opponents). Everyone wants to see him fight Brock, but I'm not sure who else in the UFC would be that interesting that has proven themselves more than he has?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #22
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
Huh, see FE fight some real talent? Have you looked at his records and seen his fights (Crocop, Big Nog, Coleman, Randleman etc., not to mention complete domination of lesser opponents). Everyone wants to see him fight Brock, but I'm not sure who else in the UFC would be that interesting that has proven themselves more than he has?
I actually don't think Brock would be much of a test for Fedor. I think Fedor would almost willingly go to the ground with him, so that he could submit him.

Is Brock big, strong and agile (for his size)? Yes. But I am not convinced that he is skilled enough to beat Fedor.

I don't think I am alone, but maybe I am.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I actually don't think Brock would be much of a test for Fedor. I think Fedor would almost willingly go to the ground with him, so that he could submit him.

Is Brock big, strong and agile (for his size)? Yes. But I am not convinced that he is skilled enough to beat Fedor.

I don't think I am alone, but maybe I am.
You are not alone.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Graeme Howland

Profile:

I agree that Fedor would have he advantage skill wise, zero question about taht (and I'd personally like to see him absolutely dominate Brock and make Dana look like an idiot). I just think it would be interesting to see Fedor against a large HW that is athletic.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #25
Doug Winenger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
I agree that Fedor would have he advantage skill wise, zero question about taht (and I'd personally like to see him absolutely dominate Brock and make Dana look like an idiot). I just think it would be interesting to see Fedor against a large HW that is athletic.
Agree with 'most' of the skills comments like above...but...Fedor has never fought anyone with a 40-50 lb weight advantage and a solid background in wrestling...I wouldn't discount that skill set. And...unlike some of the other extremely large opponents FE has fought...Lesnar is not a sloth, he can actually move

Look at the two Mir fights...Frank never got anywhere close to a position to attempt anything resembling a submission in the second fight...and you can argue he probably shouldn't have gotten a second chance in the first fight due to the ref and the controversial back of the head call, etc.

I wouldn't put Mir is the same category with FE...but...if FE and Lesnar were to fight and it went to the ground...FE probably shouldn't wait around long to attack with his submissions...just saying...a 5XL ('canned ham' as couture likes to call it) fist or the elbow will be on a bullet train to FE's head. I'm not sure even FE could last under that if Brock got a chance to land a few...but...that's why I want to see the fight!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #26
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Winenger View Post
Agree with 'most' of the skills comments like above...but...Fedor has never fought anyone with a 40-50 lb weight advantage and a solid background in wrestling...I wouldn't discount that skill set. And...unlike some of the other extremely large opponents FE has fought...Lesnar is not a sloth, he can actually move
I agree and this is why I'd like to see a Fedor/Brock fight, purely because of Brock's speed/power and wrestling skills. The huge dudes that Fedor has fought (Choi, Zulizinho etc) were indeed sloths. Although Brock doesn't have the same proven record as Fedor, he does bring something new to the table. Even if Fedor domiantes him immediately (which I would love to see), at least then the UFC fan boys can stop questioning Fedor's legacy .
Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #27
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

If this fight ever takes place, Fedor subs Brock in round #1.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #28
Matt Rexin

Profile:

To reply to what the thread has already moved past now, the reason Mir looked impressive depends on how you view Cheick Kongo. He is either a) a vastly overated striker with no ground game with victories over Hardonk and an aging Crocop or b) a vicious striker who was likely to get a title shot.

The way Frank Mir set up that punch tells me his striking has improved, with the feint and the head movement. What Mir winning shows is that Kongo is not top caliber talent and can't hang with the heavyweight elite. There wasn't a lot of fight to judge Mir on his standup, but the brief exchange showed that he had been working on it. Kongo has (had?) a strong chin, so maybe that is why the knockdown seemed so exciting.

Velasquez had trouble finishing Kongo, so per fight equations does Mir> Velasquez?

As to Fedor vs. Brock, I think it would at least go to round II. Fedor would take the first round to determine how to win the fight, escape the ground and pound, and pull a submission in the 2nd. A more realistic fight to get excited for with Fedor is Overeem, when he finally decides to fight again.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #29
Chance Adams

Profile:

I agree Matt, and add that the old Mir could only dream of getting a left off as quick as he did against Kongo. I don't see how these guys think Mir hasn't improved. His S&C is clearly leaps and bounds better than ever before. You'd think he'd get more credit for that, especially on a CrossFit message board.

I take Fedor via KO over Brock, late in Rd 1 or Rd 2.

Fedor/Overeem doesn't interest me. Overeem fell to Shogun back in Pride, twice. Of course, at that time Shogun was the BADDEST 205'er out there. Speaking of, over the course of 2 months he beat Overeem, Arona, and little Nog in the Middleweight Grand Prix.

Got a little off topic.

Fedor took a left high kick from CroCop in his prime that opened up a nasty cut (his only loss) and that didn't seem to phase him. I don't forsee him having any problems with the slow striking of Lesnar or the power behind it.

Last edited by Chance Adams : 12-22-2009 at 08:24 AM.