CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and wrestling

Jeffrey,

I guess we will agree to disagree then. IMO, adding resistance to specific sport movements like punches or kicks or drop shots in wrestling, messes up the coordination and timing of those movements. This goes back to the GPP versus sport specific debate. If you modified Crossfit to include adding resistance/intensity to sport specific movements, you would move away from GPP. I find that there is a better, more appropriate transfer for developing athletic prowus generally rather than specifically. I have used resistance bands to attempt to develop a more powerful shot attempt for wrestling. I feel it is more effective to develop hip power through "O" lifts. In a sense, the Crossfit GPP program is sport specific to wrestling b/c it trains and practices the skills and energy systems that are demanded by the sport. I don't really get Crossfit Football...

Tom
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Randy Barnett

Profile:

Hello All,

Thanks for the responses,

I have done the whole gambit of combat specific training and conditioning. I trained originally in Aikido and traditional Japanese Jiujitsu. Plus all the fun stuff I learned in the NAVY.

I teach my wrestlers how to throw using Aikido techniques. Last year I taught them how to use the kimoura to to turn an opponent for a pin.
I use 1st phase Naval Spec War Conditioning at the beginning of wrestling season and use Crossfit as the Conditioning after practice. And off season Conditioning.

I have the advantage of having a head coach who gives me free rain on trying new training techniques. I understand how some people stand on traditional conditioning. If its tried and true it works. Yes it does, but with the intro of Crossfit, body weight work outs and Olympic lifts, it makes you stronger, gives you better endurance. In a relatively short amount of time.

If your not open to new ideas that can make you the best at what you do then you get left behind. With that being said. Nothing in Crossfit is new. It is based on tried and true training techiques and principles.

For me, its going to be exciting to see what level my guys are going to achieve this year. I guess the boys are my going to be my test group to see how effective my training will be..

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Again thanks for all the input.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Randy Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Ignorance is bliss... My (aikido) dojo has a copy of an old Japanese judo training manual. It has an extensive strength and conditioning program, including a section on the usefulness of free weights that could have been written by Rippetoe or Glassman. If you think its existence might help persuade people, I could dig up the reference for you.

Katherine
I would love the reference. I am a student of Traditional Japanese Martial Arts. Dr. Kano was a very knowlegable man.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Barnett View Post
I would love the reference. I am a student of Traditional Japanese Martial Arts. Dr. Kano was a very knowlegable man.
I'll pm you. It won't be for a few days, though, as I won't be at the dojo again until Saturday.

Katherine
Old 09-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Best Judo" has a section on conditioning. THe form isn't great, but it does contain weighted squats, clean + press and deadlifts. The two guys that wrote the book have a little "Why judo is important and what it mean to me" sectionin theback and they both say the reason japanesse judoka are losing in international competition is the lack of conditioning, specifically strength training.

Both were All Tokyo Judo champions
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
Eric Cady

Profile:

yeah, i'd love to get a hold of the Aikido handbook on conditioning. Good discussion here - keep it up.
I do both BJJ and submission grappling, and each has their own specific needs as far as conditioning goes. One is more explosive while the other is more isometrically centered. It's fun to experiment with my own training and find out what movements are helping what, what's not helpful, so on and so forth.

The USAW trainer that I took my cert under described the #1 problem with US teams/ athletes today as: not enough emphasis on athletic development and focus on sport attributes with too much emphasis on early competitive success without building the foundation for longer term vision....or something of that nature.... I have no large experience in this arena but in my small world it seems to apply. Comments: experiences here:_____________________
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Best Judo" has a section on conditioning. THe form isn't great, but it does contain weighted squats, clean + press and deadlifts. The two guys that wrote the book have a little "Why judo is important and what it mean to me" sectionin theback and they both say the reason japanesse judoka are losing in international competition is the lack of conditioning, specifically strength training.

Both were All Tokyo Judo champions
"Best Judo" is actually the book I had in mind. Lots of good technical stuff, plus the emphasis on conditioning and strength.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Judo-Illu.../dp/0870117866 (WFS)

Katherine
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Aikido doesn't do nearly as much close-in grappling as judo, bjj, wrestling, etc., but the need for conditioning was definitely what led me to Crossfit. Sure, good technique is effortless, but that doesn't mean strength isn't good to have.

Katherine
Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Barnett View Post
Hello All,

I teach my wrestlers how to throw using Aikido techniques. Last year I taught them how to use the kimoura to to turn an opponent for a pin.
I use 1st phase Naval Spec War Conditioning at the beginning of wrestling season and use Crossfit as the Conditioning after practice. And off season Conditioning.
Don't mean to point out wrongs, but if I recall correctly, wasn't Mark Schultz penalised for using the kimura in the Olympics in 1984? Not sure though, I saw the footage before I started submission wrestling so my brain can't be trusted.
If it's legal, I'm extremely interested in how it could be incorporated into freestyle wrestling... And any other moves from various styles which have proven useful, for that matter.

Dunno if the link will work..
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5579,1540668