CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #21
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: The Phenom vs The Spider at UFC 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
The champ has cleaned up the division, who else is the UFC gonna match him up against??

They can have him rematch a guy who he has already obliterated (Nate/Hendo) or fight a new opponent; an opponent who happens to be one of the most exciting & dangerous fighters in the history of the sport and who will be the best striker the champ has ever faced; an opponent who in his only fight since returning to the UFC became only the second man ever, along with the current champ, to finish former champ Rich Franklin (a man Hendo could only beat in a controversial split decision) in the UFC, and he did it as fast & as in devastating fashion as the current champ did....

This fight is one of the most logical match ups the UFC has ever come up with, and one one of the best match ups in the history of the sport. Get ready for fireworks...
100% agree with the above.

Quote:
...and BTW Vitor is gonna shock the world. you heard it here first...
It would be nice to see. My mind says Vitor, but my heart says Silva.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #22
Doug Winenger

Profile:

interesting thread...

I agree the fight between silva/belfor will be awesome and one I will gladly watch.

The politics of fight arrangements, who get's what fights, when they get them, etc can be a little frustrating to me as a fan. I like Hendo, and like a previous poster...agree he's the only one to challenge Silva in any of his recent fights. It makes me wonder what is actually written into fight contracts? Do they actually write in things like "win X number of fights and earn a title shot" or anything of that ilk? I know nothing of that side of the fight biz...but, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Like someone else commented, I think Vitor caught Rich on the back of the head repeatedly and the ref missed it...

My pick in this fight is The Spider all the way...he is simply too elusive in his movement and too accurate with his striking. As Joe Rogan likes to say, his 'ballet of violence' will win out in the end.

What I do like about this match up, is that it may inspire/motivate Silva in a way that no opponent has since Franklin or Hendo. So, we may see an even better Silva than past fights...if that is even possible

Just my two cents...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
Greg Armstrong

Profile:

This event is going to be so stacked....

I knew that Vitor vs Silva was on the card, but didn't know that Evans vs T.Silva was on it too.

This might be my first trip to Vegas and my first UFC event, the main reason I'm going is both Joe and Dan Lauzon are fighting on this card J-Lau vs Sam Stout and D-Lau vs Cole Miller... both really good fights and being from MA and having trained with both of them before gotta root for them.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Derek Robinson

Profile:

Anderson Wins 1st round KO

Vitor rushes in and gets KO'd late in the 1st.

Last edited by Derek Robinson : 10-15-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Add
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
Steven Holm

Profile:

Vitor has not yet earned this fight, Hendo or Nate should get this shot. That being said, I really hope Vitor wins.
Celio, either Vitor is your favorite fighter, or you know him personally. Just seems like you are quite the supporter of him from alot of your posts.

Last edited by Steven Holm : 10-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #26
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Holm View Post
Vitor has not yet earned this fight, Hendo or Nate should get this shot. That being said, I really hope Vitor wins.
Celio, either Vitor is your favorite fighter, or you know him personally. Just seems like you are quite the supporter of him from alot of your posts.
Steven, I have mentioned here before that I trained at Vitors' dojo in San Diego for a couple of years. He owned it with Rodrigo Medeiros, who was the head teacher. They are both great guys and we are all from Rio de Janeiro.

Vitor has always been an amazing fighter but has had his career affected by some serious personal challenges pretty early on in life (early fame at 19 and the kidnap of his sister soon after). I have always rooted for him that he may fufill his potential, so yeah, I am a big supporter of him. Plus, he is indeed one of my favorite fighters, based purely on his talent, his skills, and his martial way (respectful warrior) inside of the cage/ring.

It seems to me that Vitor is at his peak right now. He is mature (and actually very wise and spiritual), has a beautiful family, and is under the tutelage of the greatest fighter alive: Randy "The Natural" Couture. He is gonna be tough to beat...

And simply from a fan perspective, as far as who deserves a shot at the Spider, both Nate & Hendo have been annihilated by Silva. Not just beat, but beat soundly and fast. Why should they get a title shot before Vitor, who has won 4 in a row at MW, with 3 KOs? He may have won only one fight at the UFC, but the UFC is not all that matters. Plus, remember that the Spider himself also only had one fight before his title shot, and against a much weaker opponent (Chris freagin Leven!) and look at what he has gone on to acheive. Vitor destroyed Franklin as fast as Silva. It's Vitors' turn for a shot at not only a the title but at Anderson Silva. Let Nate and Hendo fight each other for a second shot at the title. It seems 100% logical to me from a fan standpoint.

Last edited by Celio Silva : 10-20-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clicked "submit" by accident
Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #27
Steven Holm

Profile:

Quote:
Steven, I have mentioned here before that I trained at Vitors' dojo in San Diego for a couple of years. He owned it with Rodrigo Medeiros, who was the head teacher. They are both great guys and we are all from Rio de Janeiro.

Vitor has always been an amazing fighter but has had his career affected by some serious personal challenges pretty early on in life (early fame at 19 and the kidnap of his sister soon after). I have always rooted for him that he may fufill his potential, so yeah, I am a big supporter of him. Plus, he is indeed one of my favorite fighters, based purely on his talent, his skills, and his martial way (respectful warrior) inside of the cage/ring.

It seems to me that Vitor is at his peak right now. He is mature (and actually very wise and spiritual), has a beautiful family, and is under the tutelage of the greatest fighter alive: Randy "The Natural" Couture. He is gonna be tough to beat...

And simply from a fan perspective, as far as who deserves a shot at the Spider, both Nate & Hendo have been annihilated by Silva. Not just beat, but beat soundly and fast. Why should they get a title shot before Vitor, who has won 4 in a row at MW, with 3 KOs? He may have won only one fight at the UFC, but the UFC is not all that matters. Plus, remember that the Spider himself also only had one fight before his title shot, and against a much weaker opponent (Chris freagin Leven!) and look at what he has gone on to acheive. Vitor destroyed Franklin as fast as Silva. It's Vitors' turn for a shot at not only a the title but at Anderson Silva. Let Nate and Hendo fight each other for a second shot at the title. It seems 100% logical to me from a fan standpoint.
Touche Celio. i'm jealous, I wish I could have trained with him. My reason for wanting either nate or hendo to fight first is because both hold multiple wins in the same promotions' weight class, and are dangerous opponents. I understand your arguement, but do not feel it is accurate. either way, I will be rooting for Vitor during the fight.