CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #21
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Somehow my last post did not seem to take. Kevin, I've trained with Dan Inosanto since 1983. I know him, and his family well. His son in law is one of my best friends and was my student (a long time ago, his skills far exceed mine now!). Regarding Dan Inosanto, you will never meet a more knowledgeable, humble, or deadly person. Make every effort to take one of his seminars.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #22
Gary Mills

Profile:
Wow! Someone among us so close to Dan Inosanto.
I got my first heavy bag after I got Dan's book "Martial Arts Training with Equipment" That was a few years ago. It was from that book I learned my first heavy bag drills.

There's been some good stuff here guys,thanks a lot,

Gary.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #23
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Matt,

Some posts back you said:

How about just throwing straight punches(jab/cross)against the bag and shooting for a specific number of punches, like 100, before moving on to the next exercise?

Hooks and uppercuts require more technique, so by limiting oneself to just straight punches, it would make it more practical for those who are less experienced at throwing punches.

IMO, this is better than the 2min round option, but the power of the punch is still not being accounted for. Like Robb and Jason imply, to measure self-improvement or, if desired, performance vs. another you have to be able to quantify as many things as you can.

It's funny you mention the straight punches. With the drill I talked about that's what people usually end up using. The direction of force for the upper cuts and hook punches make them impractical.

I hope you guys don't think I'm advocating that this one drill is the end-all and be-all of using bag training for WODs. I like and have used variations of the tabata strikes that Gary and Robb talk about and think they are outstanding tools, as are rounds on the bag.

Ralph,

Since starting Crossfit over a year ago, I've noticed a significant increase in my capacity to handle the FSF classes. Some people have commented on my increase in upper body mass and increased strength while grappling as well.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 03-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #24
Ralph

Profile:

Ryan,
Definitely helps. This whole discussion has been pretty good overall. I'm a actually looking forward to start trying out some of these bag workouts mentioned thus far (I don't have access to a free standing bag, but when I do you bet I'll give your workout a try).

I do have one comment (sorry, but I'm going to pick on that one comment of yours again). Shouldn't the aim of each strike be to crack or fold the bag (upon impact) rather than "push" the bag back?

Larry,
To repeat what Gary had said, WOW! someone among us close to Dan Inosanto! My background is mostly in goju-ryu karate, but for about 1 month (recently) I had trained in Filipino Arnis and Buno (See www.garimot.com). I was definitely hooked. I had thought about trying out some Jeet Kune Do classes locally, but this arnis teacher I found (Abon Baet) is far superior IMO to the Jeet Kune Do teacher. Does Inosanto incorporate much of his Filipino Arnis background into his teaching?

-Ralph
Old 03-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #25
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Ralph,
I agree with you about pushing the bag vs. really cracking it as you say. I believe that Ryan meant that you are to hit the bag and the ensuing push that results from is just that, a result not the objective, even though it is the objective (this is a jumbled conversation). It seems to me that you would need someone with some experience and discipline in punching to commit to this workout for it to be done right.

I think through this thread we've all arrived at the conclusion that the individual is accountable for the effort that they put forth. The individual is the only one who knows how hard they are working and if they are "cheating" or not.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:07 AM   #26
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ralph, If you found a Jeet Kune Do instructor he, most likely is a fake. All instructors under Inosanto teach Jan Fan, which is the physical art developed by Bruce Lee (it is also his name). It consists of western boxing, Wing Chun, grappling, and various other forms of MA. Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy. . .having no way as way, having no limitation as limitation (why I like Crossfit). Bruce Lee certified Three instructors of Jeet Kune Do, one is Dan Inosanto. There are various other first generation students of Lee, but they are well known. Anyone else who claims to teach Jeet Kune Do is stretching the truth. Inosanto is responsible for popularsing Kali and Filipino Martial Arts. Kali is the base art from which Arnis was developed. Kali includes empty hands, grappling, kicking, single stick, double stick, single knife, double knife, stick (sword) and knife, staff, stick and shield, flex weapons (whip), projectile weapons, and more. Inosanto method is a blend of many schools of Kali and Arnis. Hope I covered it.