CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-19-2004, 08:10 AM   #21
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

David,
I think you are right regarding the negative portion of an exercising causing more muscle soreness. With higher reps, one has more negative contraction so that is probably why the lead to increased soreness verses low rep sets.

Jason,
I would agree that combining the strategies of some workouts pacing and some workouts going all out right from the get go would be an effective way to train. 500 air squats huh? Sounds like a good challenge, I'll let you know my time:proud:
Old 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM   #22
David Wood

Profile:

Here's a possible alternative for Tabata scoring: Multiply the set with the best number of reps times the worst number.

It has a lot of the same emphasis as the current "official" score (worst set is the score for the whole round) . . . you can't have even one set go crappy or it ruins your overall score. And you don't improve your overall score by going big in one set and light in the next. The product of a big number and a small number is usually smaller than the product of two middle-sized numbers.

But this one also gives people who want to just blast away for one round (without letting the others drop off) some incentive to do it . . .

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 09:04 PM   #23
Mike Yukish

Profile:
It would be interesting to have a Tabata comp, where you compete in rounds. If you win the first round by doing 20 squats to your pard's 10, it's the same as if you'd have done 11 to his 10. But you don't get to watch his rounds, so you do yours in a vacuum, so to speak.

Then just keep going, round after round, until one person or the other has gotten a 4 round lead. The Tabata Death Match.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:09 AM   #24
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I did the 500 squats once after reading that book it took about 20mins with bodyweight and I couldn't walk for a while after and was sore for a week!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:08 AM   #25
mark twight

Profile:

J-Dog,

Right on! I see the wisdom of having guys go out crushingly hard in FGB and dealing with the consequences, then using that knowledge as a foundation for confidence (or not). No surprises and fewer unknowns means less apprehension and wasted psychic energy, which leaves more energy for the task at hand.

I would say that training objectives affect the physical structure and emotional content of a Tabata intervals session or any workout for that matter. Meaning that, if I am training for intense output of short duration I will structure the application of energy during each interval differently than if I am training for lower intensity of longer duration.

Tabata intervals, and CrossFit workouts across the board allow this sort of scalability wherein the athlete may easily modify training intensity according to the desired results. Few other training protocols offer the same freedom.

Mark T.

p.s. Nice touch, throwing down the 500 Squat gauntlet like that ... the X-Vest just showed up ... maybe I won't be walking next week.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
Ross Burke

Profile:
J-Dog,

I can't give you a time on the 500 Air Squats 'cause the batteries on my stop watch ran out of juice before I could finish! I'll try again........real soon.