CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-19-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
What advantages does the barbell offer? While we do single arm dumbell / kettlebell snatches and swings, CrossFit seems to favor the barbell for a variety of exercises, such as bench press, clean, thruster, squat and overhead squat. My instinct is that the two-arm dumbell variations of these exercises would be more functional because of the increased freedom of motion.

For example, would it build more functional strength to do fifteen overhead squats with a forty-five pound dumbell in each hand, rather than with a ninety-five pound bar? What about dumbell bench-press? What about two-armed dumbell cleans?

I'd love to hear insights on this.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
bill fox

Profile:

Neill

Functionality is not a function of the tool - it's a function of how effectively the tool your using is training the function your trying to improve.

The more unstable the tool or environment, the more your hitting the stablizers, but it becomes difficult to use enough weight to stimulate the larger structures. Thus you can't just chuck your BBs and DBs because you discovered KBs.

Barbell, kettlebell, clubell, body weight, stand on an indo baord etc...it's a myth that one is more "functional" then another.

That's why the cross fit approach, use different tools, cycle, train different systems - works so well.

Mix in a little specificity depending on your goals, or for that matter what you like, and that will be "functional".

Bill

Old 02-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Neil-

For the O-lifts it is impossible to achieve the same loading and hip involvement with DB's. I think the DB versions of many lifts adds variety but the instability is increased so much that loading is compromised.

Increased instability does not always translate into improved functionality. The rehab community is enamored with wobble boards, foam rolls and physio balls. One can develop some interesting tricks ballancing on these items but functionality pales compared to squatting, cleaning , pressing etc.

Robb
Old 02-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

IMHO both are great tools for training and skill with both will enhance your "fitness toolbox". Dumbells seem to require more concentration for stabilization which might lead to some muscles being worked that don't usually get hit on the same exercise with a barbell. With a barbell, more weight can usually be used which I believe works more muscle mass. Use 'em both!:wink:
Old 02-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
Marly Weston

Profile:  
I prefer Dumbbells, especially for overhead pressing as I think they are easier on the wrists and shoulders-
Old 03-01-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Marly,

You are correct! Dumbbells allow the wrists to move from side to side. This in turn puts your shoulders in a more natural position. The end result is less potential for shoulder and wrist injury!