CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Exclamation "Supersize Me"

I'm in my marketing class right now (at good ol' St. John's University in NY) and we are watching the movie "Supersize Me". Watching this man do this is making me want to lose my mind...and slap him into the zone. Anyone ever see this theatrical gem?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Re: "Supersize Me"

Yea. I use to show it to my middle school classes and have them research healthy eating choices. It really opened up their eyes when they saw what happened to him and his health.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Just a note that past discussions of this topic have gone "political" pretty quickly . . . and been promptly shut down at that time.

Don't let it happen again, folks . . .
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Derek Franks

Profile:

Interesting movie. But it seemed to me about like smoking 4 packs a day and then acting surprised that you have health problems. I mean who doesn't know that eating a big mac, a huge order of fries and a huge coke three times a day isn't good for you?

He was making a movie to prove a point and chose his meals accordingly. There are plenty of choices at McDonalds that while maybe not healthy, aren't heart attacks in a box. If he had replaced the burgers with chicken salads, egg mcmuffins and fruit parfaits, he probably wouldn't have just about killed himself.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Andrew Lallos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Interesting movie. But it seemed to me about like smoking 4 packs a day and then acting surprised that you have health problems. I mean who doesn't know that eating a big mac, a huge order of fries and a huge coke three times a day isn't good for you?

He was making a movie to prove a point and chose his meals accordingly. There are plenty of choices at McDonalds that while maybe not healthy, aren't heart attacks in a box. If he had replaced the burgers with chicken salads, egg mcmuffins and fruit parfaits, he probably wouldn't have just about killed himself.
I agree with you to some extent, but entering my college days I weighed in at 205 lbs before I changed my eating habits and overhauled my entire diet (it wasn't until fairly recently that I found CF). I learned what was good, and what was bad (generally) through the internet and vowed to stay away from fad dieting. Long story short, when talking to people about my fat loss and what is good and what is bad, generally (even the skinny people with fast metabolisms who eat whatever they want) really don't have a clue as to what is truly good or bad for them.

It scares me, and really makes me want to take the stance of my children learning proper nutrition before they learn their colors, shapes and shoe tying. I am in 110% seriousness with that btw.

There is a quote in the movie where Morgan (main guy) is talking about associations learned as children and he says something along the lines of "I'm going to make my kids stay away from fast food by punching them in the face every time we pass a fast food restaurant" I don't condone child abuse, but something needs to be done with the young children of America immediately.

P.S. I forgot to mention it, but from that 205 as a college freshman I am now down to 145(ish) in my senior year.

P.P.S. I'm sure he would have been far better if he stuck with the "healthier" items...but thats like ultra light cigarettes. still full of crap.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I don't believe in the evils of fast foods. I have only indulged in them once or twice in the past year, but they used to be a staple of my diet while I was in college. I would have 1 or 2 fast food meals a day for my entire freshman year. With the changing environment, schedule, and convenience, it just made it too easy. I weighed 50 pounds more than I weigh now, so it did make a difference; but I also was completely sedentary other than going to class.

But Supersize Me is mostly a scare tactic, because that's what usually earns money at the box office when it comes to documentaries. I have known many, many, many people who have had a super-sized big mac, and eaten every last piece. None have thrown up. Not to say that no one throws up, but the film was filled with overly-dramatic stuff like this.

While fast food's bad for you, it is not, by leaps and bounds, much worse than your typical home-cooked or "nice restaurant" American fare. Nearly everything is high carb, large portion, and highly processed. If people ate at Outback Steakhouse 3 times a day, no doubt in my mind they would experience the same types of effects that Morgan experienced eating at McDonald's. Most American restaurants will serve you a burger with as many fries as those that come in a large McDonald's meal anyways.

It was an interesting premise for a movie (trying something for 30 days and documenting it), but ultimately it was just one big, unrealistic scare tactic. The film assumes that low body fat equates to overall health, and generally seemed somewhat uninformed to me. I don't really disagree with anything in the movie, but I just think it really didn't need to be made into a movie at all, heh.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Andrew Lallos

Profile:

Elliot, that was definitely a good perspective on it. You shed a new light on the movie for me.

Being a college student, I do turn to fast food every now and then simply for its speed and convenience in my crazy life, but I will--without a doubt say that I feel a difference in my mood and in my body overall until that meal is out of my system. I do also try to keep a fast food meal as zone as possible so I generally skip the fries all together.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
"I'll Have A Double"

My next movie project: four fingers of Scotch with 3 meals and 2 snacks a day (I'm on the Zone!) for thirty days straight. Film it all cuz I really have to know if this is bad for me.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
James Besenyei

Profile:

Fast foods aren't problematic.

Eating fast food, in large quantities, every day, for a prolonged period of time, is problematic.

However, this holds true for many, many, many, things.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Shortly after "Supersize me" came out another guy did the same experiment to prove that he could maintain his health while on the diet. He did. Unfortunately I don't remember the guy's name and I can't find the website anymore, if it still exists. One thing this guy added that I don't remember Spurlock doing was exercise.

Plus, Spurlock lost credibility when he tried eating a double quarter pounder with cheese, supersize fries and a supersize coke. He ended up barfing. *****.