CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
age and lifts

I see a lot of older folks on the Facebook CF Masters page that lift some really heavy stuff. Crazy heavy. I'm 49, been doing CrossFit since 2012 and I'm at 350 lbs back squat, 400 lbs deadlift (what's up with that?) and only 215 lbs for bench. I can power clean 175 lbs. Been doing Wendler most of this time. My clean and snatch are works on progress. I'd love to get a 400 lb back squat and a 500 lb deadlift and a 300 lb bench, but with my current programming I don't know how I'm gonna get there as I've been at these numbers for a year. I have been on a cut since October and I've lost about 20 lbs (I weigh about 220) and I'm sure that has something to do with it (don't make fun of me). I see folks smaller than me with bigger numbers and I want to get there. Should I be satisfied with my current numbers?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: age and lifts

Hey David,

Let's look at some numbers.

Firstly if you refer to Kilgores elite level strength standards, this is really about the maximum you can progress to, before you'd start sacrifing other areas of fitness. As an indicator of this, few CF Games athletes surpass these levels by much. So we can assume these are resonable upper limit goals for you.
LINK - Kilgores Strength Standards

Now, if we take your age into account, Kilgore would advise you'd experiance about a 20% drop in max strength at 50, and this would grow to perhaps 30% by the time you're 60.
LINK - Effects of Age on Fitness Standards

Therefore at your 220 lbs, following are your resonable upper limits, with age taken into account, then compared with your current lifts, and then the difference.

LIFT = ELITE => AGE MAX - CURRENT = INCR OPPORTUNTIY
DL= 585 => 470 - 400 = 70
BS = 530 => 425 - 350 = 75
BP = 380 => 305 - 215 = 90
PC = 345 => 240 - 175 = 65

These numbers assume your Body Fat % is <20% otherwise the maxes would be less.

Althought these goals are indicative only, you likely do still have room for gains, however a couple of things to take into account.
- The core issue with age is recovery disapears; your training volume decreases.
- So this requires far smarter programming then you'd likely get in the majority of CrossFit general group classes.
- If you are following Wendel as prescribed, plus perhaps throwing around the odd metcon or four, you are likely not leaving enough room for recovery for your age, and have therefore stalled. Although there are exactly 1 million reasons for stalling, so it is difficult to disagnose over the net.
- Nutrition is huge if you want to reach these levels - nutrition = recovery.
- I'd suggest that reaching the levels suggested above, would require an age specific lifting program, that leaves ample room for recovery, (remember you don't get stronger by lifting, you get stronger by lifting AND recovering). Also you would have to exclude all but the bear minimum of metcons to maintain current work capacity levels, to again avoid recovery issues.

Hope this helps, questions welcome.

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 05-11-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
Re: age and lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
Hey David,

Let's look at some numbers.

Firstly if you refer to Kilgores elite level strength standards, this is really about the maximum you can progress to, before you'd start sacrifing other areas of fitness. As an indicator of this, few CF Games athletes surpass these levels by much. So we can assume these are resonable upper limit goals for you.
LINK - Kilgores Strength Standards

Now, if we take your age into account, Kilgore would advise you'd experiance about a 20% drop in max strength at 50, and this would grow to perhaps 30% by the time you're 60.
LINK - Effects of Age on Fitness Standards

Therefore at your 220 lbs, following are your resonable upper limits, with age taken into account, then compared with your current lifts, and then the difference.

LIFT = ELITE => AGE MAX - CURRENT = INCR OPPORTUNTIY
DL= 585 => 470 - 400 = 70
BS = 530 => 425 - 350 = 75
BP = 380 => 305 - 215 = 90
PC = 345 => 240 - 175 = 65

These numbers assume your Body Fat % is <20% otherwise the maxes would be less.

Althought these goals are indicative only, you likely do still have room for gains, however a couple of things to take into account.
- The core issue with age is recovery disapears; your training volume decreases.
- So this requires far smarter programming then you'd likely get in the majority of CrossFit general group classes.
- If you are following Wendel as prescribed, plus perhaps throwing around the odd metcon or four, you are likely not leaving enough room for recovery for your age, and have therefore stalled. Although there are exactly 1 million reasons for stalling, so it is difficult to disagnose over the net.
- Nutrition is huge if you want to reach these levels - nutrition = recovery.
- I'd suggest that reaching the levels suggested above, would require an age specific lifting program, that leaves ample room for recovery, (remember you don't get stronger by lifting, you get stronger by lifting AND recovering). Also you would have to exclude all but the bear minimum of metcons to maintain current work capacity levels, to again avoid recovery issues.

Hope this helps, questions welcome.

Sean
Wow! Thanks for the informative response!