CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #231
Jon Campbell

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

I could be wrong but I don't believe open workouts have ever repeated movements in the same year. If the old's then 16.5 will not be a repeat.

I think we can assume thrusters will be one of the movements. Could we see thrusters plus a new movement? Or maybe just thrusters...maybe a EMOM with increasing weight or some type of ladder. Could be thrusters and boxjumps done similar to 13.1.

10 Thrusters
15 Box Jumps
Weight to increase on the thrusters each round.

My hope is no thrusters this year. Maybe Box Jumps and S2O with increase weight on the S2O each round.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #232
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Bridges' 16.4 win performance getting eviscerated in the comments

(wfs) http://games.crossfit.com/article/josh-bridges-wins-164
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #233
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

yes he is moving so fast looks like the dl were not all locked out. From the comments non of them passed. Hard to see the hspu line… wide grip.. moving so fast.. hard to judge. Great effort but seemingly sloppy. But who am I to say.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #234
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Someone made a helpful standards video, hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4L...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #235
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
yes he is moving so fast looks like the dl were not all locked out. From the comments non of them passed. Hard to see the hspu line… wide grip.. moving so fast.. hard to judge. Great effort but seemingly sloppy. But who am I to say.
The DL did look sloppy, if you look at his last five (he had to go back because he counted 50 when he should complete 55) looks 95% the way up on 50-54 but on the very last 55th rep he is in the correct position and only then did it look like a rep.

But this comes down to the judge.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #236
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

RE 16.5 with all those big names and that it is on The Ranch, it has to be some sort of grand finale. Some movements already done this year will probably be repeated at a different load. I can't imagine all this to watch Rich Froning and everyone else just do thrusters and box jumps.

Seeing how many people butchered the movements for 16.4 I can't imagine pistols will be in 16.5. Can you imagine what a mess that would be? People getting points for doing awkward curtsies on one leg.

I think it will be a *timed* workout with a max lift at the end, WITH a fairly restrictive time-cap--you have to get BOTH the metcon AND the max-lift done by the time-cap. This will stop the sandbagging--the only way you will get to do the max lift is if you hustle on the metcon.

As for the max lift I will go with the snatch as my guess. What else could it be. Heavy cleans (which you'd have to do for a heavy thruster) already made their appearance both this year and last.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 03-22-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #237
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I watched Bridges video as well. I think if you had the time you could put it in Coach's Eye or dartfish and see that for an instant he is exactly where he needs to be to get a full rep.

The Notion that you need to hyper-extend your hips to have a completed deadlift is pretty much nonsense.

I could not see the HSPU line but me guess is he is very close to the wall on his set-up and he has practiced them that way a bunch. You need to be close to the wall and keep your feet together and then they would be a little easier.

If Crossfit HQ accepted his video I am not sure what the fuss is about.

It seems a little odd that they take reps away from everyone else though and not this.

Matters not as he would have been up there regardless.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #238
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Predicted winners of 16.4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
Noah Olsen
Sam Briggs
You are awarded 6 + 4 = 10 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Matty Fraiser
Briggs
45 + 4 = 49 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post
Froning or Jacob Anderson
Michele Letendre
2 + 67 + 28 = 97 points

(Hedging your bet will only earn you more points. Remember lowest score wins. I'm making the rules up as we go along.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Ben Smith
Briggs
50 + 4 = 54 points

Mike Cook wins this week with some mighty fine predictions.

I'm going to go out on a limb before 16.5 is announced and predict Rich Froning to win 16.5. His ability plus the hype of doing the announcement workout will make him hard to beat. I'll reserve my women's pick until I know the workout.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #239
Christopher Morris

Profile:

The video of Josh Bridges workout is irrelevant. Doesn't matter. Not one bit. The video generally shows that Josh did the workout, but you cannot use the video to critique individual reps.

On the leaderboard hover your mouse over his score and it states that the workout was verified by a judge. The judge is responsible for rep / no rep. If his workout were judged by video, then there would be a little TV icon next to his score. His score is validated by a judge, so nitpicking the video is useless.

The judge watched Josh's workout live from a lot closer vantage point than the video camera. That carries a lot more weight in this argument than us armchair CrossFitters watching it after the fact.

Did he deserve some "no reps"? Maybe. Do athletes in competition push the limit on meeting standards? Definitely. An athlete with big glutes (like Josh) is going to have a grey area where they may or may not have their hips locked out.

There have been incidents where the judging was so horrendous that points were deducted and affiliates excluded from competition.

If you want to win a workout, get a lenient judge that will let borderline-standard reps slide. If the reps are close enough to be arguable on the video, then you have to let the judge's call stand.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #240
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
The video of Josh Bridges workout is irrelevant. Doesn't matter. Not one bit. The video generally shows that Josh did the workout, but you cannot use the video to critique individual reps.

On the leaderboard hover your mouse over his score and it states that the workout was verified by a judge. The judge is responsible for rep / no rep. If his workout were judged by video, then there would be a little TV icon next to his score. His score is validated by a judge, so nitpicking the video is useless.

The judge watched Josh's workout live from a lot closer vantage point than the video camera. That carries a lot more weight in this argument than us armchair CrossFitters watching it after the fact.

Did he deserve some "no reps"? Maybe. Do athletes in competition push the limit on meeting standards? Definitely. An athlete with big glutes (like Josh) is going to have a grey area where they may or may not have their hips locked out.

There have been incidents where the judging was so horrendous that points were deducted and affiliates excluded from competition.

If you want to win a workout, get a lenient judge that will let borderline-standard reps slide. If the reps are close enough to be arguable on the video, then you have to let the judge's call stand.
But all athletes desiring to go to Regionals must video their workouts and have them available for submission. So there is an extra layer of review before Regionals invites go out. I watched segments of the video and can't tell anything on the HSPU, but I have a hard time believing most of the deadlifts should be counted. I also have a hard time believing the HSPU measuring was done correct given how wide Bridges' hands are on most of his HSPU.

The other most visible athlete in the video, to Bridge's right on the screen, may should also have be given many no reps--although breaking down the video in slow motion would be important. He goes to such great effort to hyperextend and open the hip that he is flexing his knees. His finish position is exaggerated at the hips, clearly open, but with knees flexed. That is not a rep. Does he pass through a good final position on the way there? Maybe, I didn't try to watch it in slow motion.

I have had great respect for Invictus, and routinely look at their programming (my box owner follows their masters programming himself), and obviously it is an excellent box. But the video is quite a surprise to me. Not only a bunch of clear no reps in my assessment but also some pretty damn bad form.

Last edited by Steven Wingo : 03-22-2016 at 05:37 PM.