CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
Mike Kelley

Profile:
Re: Some new records

For all those talking about Westside, I'm pretty sure they don't max out deadlift every week...It's basically squat and press (usually bench)

I don't believe it's NECESSARY to max out this frequently, but that's not to say it can't be done. My only issue is the deadlift as I don't think you really want to attempt a 1RM on that more than 3-4 times in a year. I believe I saw that on a Westside write up, but I could be wrong. Either way, due to the amount of CNS fatigue associated with the deadlift, that's the only one I think you should be careful with.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #22
Pearse Shields

Profile:

That depends on the amount weight you're hoisting. For someone like me who only gets 2x BW, recovery doesn't pose the same problem that it does for the heavyweight lifters who are pulling 800+ pounds when they max out.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bernardin View Post
Good job dude! I'm curious. I did about 4 months of CrossFit most days of the week and don't think I gained any strength at all (only lost fat). In fact I think my squat went down from 220 to 175 ish.

What kind of food do you eat? And how much?
Then you need to go to a different affiliate, or look at alternative training. It's not the food it's the programming. Metcons make you skinny and weak.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Then you need to go to a different affiliate, or look at alternative training. It's not the food it's the programming. Metcons make you skinny and weak.
this is not correct, i do heavy metcons all the time that make me stronger and bigger.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #25
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
this is not correct, i do heavy metcons all the time that make me stronger and bigger.
That's only true because you added an adjective.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
Steve Bray

Profile:

heavy is relative. plus metcons dont make you skinny and weak it just doesnt work like that, unless it is a heap of running and rowing with no body weight movements or external loads being moved its going to provide a stimulus. people doing only "metcons" wont get skinny and weak they might not be able to squat 2x body weight and be 90kgs ripped. but they will be stronger/more athletic than the average joe.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Steve, surely you can admit that there are specific adaptations in response to particular stresses being put on the body? That means no strength component means no adaptations towards strength. I found this to be true when I did Crossfit- there were often heavy deadlift metcons, and my deadlift shot up. However, there were almost no metcons calling for heavy front squats or back squats. As such, I never made much progress with those movements. I did lose strength with my back squat, while most other lifts increased slightly. The main adaptation I got out of metcons was increased muscular endurance.