CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #51
Adam Scheiner
Member Adam Scheiner is offline
 
Adam Scheiner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 1,091
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
We all discovered that recovery is unbelievably key no matter where you are in terms of age, strength, or experience.

How about a couple of options? Do straight Main Page WOD's on the other three days. Or do bench press instead of SP if that is an interest. At least for your first couple of CFSB cycles it's important to emphasize your recovery, or at least to explore your recovery ability. Better to discover that you recover BETTER than expected than to crash.

As one of the "crash test dummies" you can trust me on this one!


--bingo
I second the crap out of this statement.
__________________
my log
My affiliate
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #52
Jerry Mobbs
Member Jerry Mobbs is offline
 
Jerry Mobbs's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dhaka  Bangladesh
Posts: 216
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Jared, once you've run through your introductory or ramp-up cycle then the focus is getting to your PR set. On the basis of your past experience select your build up sets to get where you want to be. One note however, too many sets at high percentage will be tough to recover from.
Jared,

Kempie's right. The focus is on getting to your PR set. I did not understand this key point at first

For example, my deadlifts to start with were
120 kg*3
125 kg*3
130 kg*3

After 4 weeks they looked like

130kg*3
140kg*3
145kg*3

Good progress but recovery sucked, and getting those PRs felt really hard.

Now they look like

100kg*3
130kg*3
156kg*3

The PRs are still coming, which is the objective.

My high rep deadlifts are also still going up. I really doubt they would if I was trying to do 145kg, 150kg, 156kg

Jerry

PS This is just my experience, if Kempie or Bingo disagree, then I'd recommend going with what they say. I'm just a crash test dummy ;-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #53
Howard Wilcox
Affiliate Howard Wilcox is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Forsyth  GA
Posts: 780
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

The CFSB discussion seems to be going on in about four places, so if this has been asked, I apologize.

Can you tell me why high-rep back squats were chosen over front squats?

I would have thought front squats might be better given the number of metcons with cleans, thrusters, and front squats themselves in high-rep variants. Similarly, if you fail, it's much easier/safer to dump a front squat than a back squat.

Just curious, thanks...

howard
__________________
Esse Quam Videri
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #54
Darrell E. White
Member Darrell E. White is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bay village  OH
Posts: 955
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Howard:

I think, basically, because they work! Jeff and I were very open about the fact that CFSB is built on the foundation of the work and experience of others in addition to Jeff. Rip has shown the benefits of high-rep back squats in his writings, teachings, and in his gym. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Your point about dumping and safety is correct. I spent a little time practicing dumping both BS and OH lifts so that I would do it as naturally as possible with heavier weights since I pretty much always workout alone.

Hope that helps.

--bingo
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #55
Jared Ashley
Member Jared Ashley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Mobbs View Post
Jared,

After 4 weeks they looked like

130kg*3
140kg*3
145kg*3

Good progress but recovery sucked, and getting those PRs felt really hard.

Now they look like

100kg*3
130kg*3
156kg*3

The PRs are still coming, which is the objective.
That's very interesting, thanks for the insight. Given those numbers, it's almost like the DL set in SS, where you do several warm-up sets, but only 1 true working set. Are your BS/FS/P ramp-ups looking similar?

With a difference that large, it seems like it's really just 3x5 or 3x3... 5x3 would look the same as 3x3 + warmups sets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #56
Toan Tran
Member Toan Tran is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston  Texas
Posts: 10
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

how much rest should be taken btw the ME, met-con/high-rep lifts, and gymnastics/skill dev?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #57
Howard Wilcox
Affiliate Howard Wilcox is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Forsyth  GA
Posts: 780
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Howard:

I think, basically, because they work! Jeff and I were very open about the fact that CFSB is built on the foundation of the work and experience of others in addition to Jeff. Rip has shown the benefits of high-rep back squats in his writings, teachings, and in his gym. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Your point about dumping and safety is correct. I spent a little time practicing dumping both BS and OH lifts so that I would do it as naturally as possible with heavier weights since I pretty much always workout alone.

Hope that helps.

--bingo

Thanks Darrell, that it works is a very good reason.

So, do the high-rep BS sets proceed like 20-rep breathing squats (i.e. 3-5 breaths between each rep) or as fast as reasonably possible?


howard
__________________
Esse Quam Videri
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #58
Chris Kemp
Affiliate Chris Kemp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester-Le-Street  North East England
Posts: 837
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wilcox View Post
Thanks Darrell, that it works is a very good reason.

So, do the high-rep BS sets proceed like 20-rep breathing squats (i.e. 3-5 breaths between each rep) or as fast as reasonably possible?


howard
Howard, as many as it takes to get it done. These are to build strength endurance with a significant load so whilst the first few may be pretty comfortable but later reps will require a little will.

Cheers, kempie
__________________
Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #59
Chris Kemp
Affiliate Chris Kemp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester-Le-Street  North East England
Posts: 837
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan Tran View Post
how much rest should be taken btw the ME, met-con/high-rep lifts, and gymnastics/skill dev?
Toan, it depends on how much each bit takes out of you. For ME work I generally leave 3-5 mins between sets, similar before I start my high rep stuff and then crack on with my metcon after I've cleared my bars away. Similarly, once you are on your feet again then have a play with your skill stuff.

Really depends on how long you can spend at the gym. if you need to get done in an hour then keep it short and keep moving.

Cheers, kempie
__________________
Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #60
Deirdre P Martin
Member Deirdre P Martin is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brooklyn  NY
Posts: 10
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

need to keep acronyms to a minimum for those new to the sight. ME and Metcon?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IF questions Tim Taylor Nutrition 16 12-03-2008 07:13 AM
Questions... Katie Jones Starting 5 11-09-2008 07:47 PM
A few Questions matthew maclaren lawson Exercises 4 06-24-2007 08:46 PM
I'm new, a few questions... Thomas Vita Starting 4 02-12-2007 12:07 PM
Few questions Wim Lokate Starting 4 01-04-2007 07:00 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.