CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Scott Miller

Profile:
This post is a little different then most, I am looking to gain weight. I am 6'6 and weigh 195.
Played soccer most of me life and I am having trouble get over this hump, I work out regularly but being in college and having class, weird hours, etc. is really hard to keep eating. I need some ideas to gain some weight. Anything will help, appreciate all the help and look forward to the new ideas.

Take Care
Scott Miller

"Dont count every hour in the day, Make every hour in the day count"

(Message edited by millertime1130 on February 03, 2007)
Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Why do you need to gain weight?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Scott Miller

Profile:
Because I am cut but I dont have any mass to me. I want to get bigger, and gain more mass. I dont know if it is just mentally in my head, also I have an older brother who is 23 and he is 216, and not that cut. I feel that if I get to his size and I am cut I would be pretty big. That is where I want to be, right know I feel like I am to small framed. Hopefully that helped you, I also want to go into law enforcement so any size will help.

take care
Scott
Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Eva Claire Synkowski

Profile:
well, the short answer to weight gain is to eat more. youre going to have to track what youre eating versus expenditure, and add a bunch of calories.

mass gain has been discussed quite a bit. id recommend searching the boards for mass gain. in my cursory search, a couple threads looked relevant:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/26274.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/31090.html

Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Scott, eat more. I recommend the Zone because I find it easy to make meals and record what I'm eating. I am 6'3" and weighed 195 a month ago. I'm eating 24 blocks a day with 5x fat and gaining at a moderate rate. I am up to 201 right now. You will most likely get fatter but if you are pretty thin it should not be tough to drop 10 pounds or whatever it takes to be lean again after 3-4 months of weight gain. Respond here or email me if you want more of my ideas. Also, I started at 6'3" 160 pounds.

Edit: Ignore anyone who criticizes or questions your motivation to gain weight. There are many people out there who do not understand being thin and/or weak and consider weight gain a suspect process.

(Message edited by nick_cummings on February 04, 2007)
Old 02-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
James Besenyei

Profile:
Get married:biggrinthumb:!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Scott,
1-Eat 5-6 meals a day make sure you get protein at every meal

2-Drink one gallon of milk everyday in addition to eating all of your meals, chocolate milk is especially good!

3-In my youth when I was going through this I also gagged down a shake with one dozen raw eggs everyday first thing in the morning.

4-Pour good oil on your food

Not Paleo, Not Zone, but will help you gain weight. I was 15 y/o 6ft tall, went from ~136 to ~150 in about six months generically just "eating more" then from ~150 to ~190 in about 3 months doing the eggs milk thing everyday. It was as hard to make myself eat all that food as it ever was to "diet down" felt a bit queasy the whole time. Puberty is amazing!

You will have to be the judge of how much you want to gain. That was almost 30 years ago, wish my metabolism was that fast now.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Scott Miller

Profile:
Thanks everyone, I have another question....do you guys know of any foods that are best for gaining weight. I am short on money due to college and have weird hours for classes, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I eat a lot of protein but I live thirty minutes from campus and dont travel back for meals. The food on campus is extremely expensive and very non-nutritional. Please let me know if you have any ideas of any sort. Thanks for the great ideas already.

Take Care
Scott
Old 02-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
1 gallon jugs of chocolate milk over 3,000 calories for less than three bucks at my local Safeway
Old 02-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Pick up John Berardi's From Scrawny to Brawny.

It spells out the whole process. You are going to have to lift heavy if you want to not just add lard, unless you are still developing physically.