CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
I am definitely not a dietician and don’t want to spend a lot of time beating my brains out trying to figure out all of the various technical aspects that goes into that type of medical discipline. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for those who chose this profession. However, being a simple caveman, I would like a better and clearer understanding of exactly what “Energy Intake” means and why it is a bad thing in terms of how it affects the body’s storage of fat. I know that “Energy Expenditure” means the process of how the body burns calories in the form of exercising but how does the term “Energy Intake” promotes fat storage? And how does this actually affect the measurement of calories that our body consumes through day to day eating? I hope my questions are not too vague.

As I am approaching my 1 year anniversary of being a Crossfit member, I have been working hard in my continuation of tweaking and improving my weaker physical areas as well as improving my overall mental understanding of health and fitness and Crossfit is definitely been helping me in those efforts. :happy:

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Hmm. I was moved to keep you company, and yet here we are again, alone. At least we have each other.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hey, it looks like you have company now but thanks for stopping by.
Patience is a virtue.:lol:
Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #4

Profile:

energy intake is how many calories you eat. energy expenditure is how many calories your body uses in a given period of time. energy balance occurs when energy intake and expenditure are equal. negative/positive energy balance is self explanatory.

so energy intake is not a bad thing. zero energy intake = death. what docs/nutritionists use it for is to point out that if you're eating more than you're using, you're going to gain weight.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Awww, I see. Thanks Greg, that makes a little more sense now.

This is what I found when searching for some other nutritional information on line.

"Nutritional and food labels:

The calorie has become a common household term as dietitians recommend in cases of obesity to reduce body weight by increasing exercise (energy expenditure) and reducing energy intake."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie
(Crossfit/work/family friendly)

As you can see, this made very little sense to me as did the whole link. That's what I get for going to Wikipedia.:bangin: