CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #11
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:
I use the Warrior Diet and find it's use to be effective.

As far as being a "SEAL". many civilian types you write articles lump alot of stuff together. Seeing how Ori deals with alot of competitive athletic types throught the military, it would be career suicide for him to say he was something he's not.

With the background of T-Nation I put litte if any truth in what they wrote about him. For example I've seen in some magazine and news shows where anyone is lumped in to "Special Forces".

Now SEAL's Rangers, etc are all part of the "Special Operations Community" yet they will call everyone "Special Forces".

I go off of the "Believe nothing of what ya here and half of what ya see" mentality.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Randy Roper

Profile:
I went to the t-nation post and sure enough he said in the interview that he was a navy SEAL. Maybe he was in the Israeli military's version of the SEALs but when you say Navy SEAL the inference is clear: US Navy. Disapointing because I liked his book and some of his ideas. The crew from VeriSeal has a way of publicly humiliating folks who falsely claim to be SEALS
Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
Yael Grauer

Profile:
There is no "Israeli military version" of being a U.S. Navy SEAL. Completely unacceptable. Period. No excuses. None. (I'd be equally opposed to a SEAL pretending he was in the IDF if he wasn't.) And it was direct quotes, not just a description of him written by one of the stellar and highly ethical T-Nation writers and fact-checkers.

As far as Warrior Diet though, I really like most of it, would probably add light sources of protein during the day for people who work out (like he mentioned on his site) and eliminate low quality foods (i.e. grains) altogether. Love the idea of one big meal.

I have to wonder how the diet would mitigate the effects of feasting at night though (e.g. body temperature is raised which disrupts your sleep cycle, growth hormone surges blocked if you eat
carbs within 3 hours of going to bed because of the GH blocking effects of insulin, body metabolism increased in response to food making it harder to sleep, protein at bedtime raising heat production, etc.)
Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Yael, I agree with your idea in theory, but in reality I find that when eating a wholesome large meal at night it tends to actually put me to sleep. Sleep is definitely improved on the WD.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #15
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm all for experimenting on myself. Wouldn't be doing CF if I wasn't. That said, I really think we need to establish a baseline nutritional program, prior to trying stuff like the Warrior Diet. Many, many people have been successful using the Weigh and Measure Athlete's Zone. It's healthy, simple (after a few weeks), and increases performance while lowering bodyfat levels. After six months on the Zone, if you want to experiment with IF or Warrior Diet type stuff, feel free...you have a solid nutritional plan to compare it to and you could bail out to a good plan if necessary. Most people come to CF with disorganized, crappy, nutritional programs, get a base line first, then modify to your tastes.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #16
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I agree with Larry minus the Zone recommendation. No disrespect, I just haven't and and don't think I ever will be able to implement the Zone into my lifestyle.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:24 AM   #17
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Okay, I'll 'fess up. I'm doing Warrior Diet right now with some modifications (eating only foods for my metabolic type, for example) and having great results mentally and emotionally. I wasn't going to post this until after a few weeks when I know for sure what my results are physically, but I am doing awesome so far. I can eat fruit all day without getting really spacy and having blood sugar surges. I feel full and satisfied after I eat. I feel clear and level-headed. No sweet cravings, need to snack, etc. just constant energy. I feel renewed, clear, sharp and happy.

I f***in' hate the Zone. I wasn't getting enough fat in the right percentages, which made me crave carbs constantly, and then I had to resist those cravings to try to stay in the Zone. Doesn't seem fair. And it made me feel like I was really undisciplined or something, and just really controlled by my cravings, which is something I think happens to a lot of people that they don't want to talk about. I tried cyclic low carb and that wasn't working either. When I tell myself I'm going to do something and keep bailing every week or sooner it always makes me feel f**in' weak.

So I was talking to a friend about this and she had this really brilliant idea. She said, "Maybe it's not YOU, but the diet." She reminded me I never needed to snack constantly before the Zone, and that when I was driving myself insane trying to work out on the treadmill six days a week before I found CF and hating it, I also thought there was something wrong with me instead of looking at the regimen.

My gut tells me a lot more people are having this experience with Zone and aren't talking about it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #18
David Luu

Profile:
i really wanted to like the warrior diet, but after about 3 weeks of it, i found myself not having enough energy to complete my workouts and getting terrible headaches during intense exercise. i had to stop. maybe larry is right about the baseline thing, b/c i had a terrible diet before starting the warrior diet. i'm on the zone diet now and very happy.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #19
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Warrior Diet allows for some protein or carbs as a recovery meal after working out... Did you try that? Just curious.

But anyways, with everyone being a different metabolic and glandular type and processing food differently and having different health problems, I think no two people are the same and everyone needs a different diet.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Robb, can you clarify how you would tweak how you'd implement the WD? I apologize if you've already covered this elsewhere, but I did do a search on Warrior Diet and read all the posts and looked for it in the PMenu FAQ and all of the back issues on IF, and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

You said in one of those posts somewhere that you can burn muscle if you do it wrong. So say you take out all low quality and non-Paleo foods, and throw in a post-workout snack, and make your metcon days the high-carb days and of course get enough sleep and all that other good stuff... does that cover it?