CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
James lee

Profile:
Be aware of American Aggression

I hate to do this because I want to support the local vendors but this guy is no good and I hope that no one else gets burned by him.

I hired him to build / install my pull up/squat rack in July. Make the long story short, the vinyl covering on the Jcup kept peeing off within 3 months. I contacted him a week ago to ask him to come fix his product, here's his response after 2 emails were sent to him.

"First off your last email as well as this one say FWD at the top of it for some reason. I thought it was forwarded to me by accident. Because I believe it read almost identical to first time you contacted me about this problem. The vinyl on your J Hooks is a where item. Maybe if you took better care of your rack this wouldn't be happening. They are just glued on. If you see them starting to come off why are you not super gluing them them before they get worse?. This is just a peace of vinyl it's going to show some where in a commercial setting."

This guy that I paid close to 10k basically told me it's my fault that his product was falling apart and that i should of crazy glued what was broke myself? Needless to say, he is not going to fix his product and now I am stuck with his crap.

Every time I use a smaller vendor i get burned... Please be careful with this guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140707_073142.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	13729  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Rob Alexander

Profile:
Re: Be aware of American Aggression

You're publicly flaming this guy over that? Seems pretty harsh.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

From an outside perspective, the issue isn't quite that severe, however the response from the owner is pretty alarming.

All the customer service in this industry that I've worked with so far has been amazing. From spun performance to againfaster to repfitness, all have gone out of their way to accommodate me and fix any issues I may have had.

I'd be pretty upset at that response too.

As a side note, it might be worth it to remove all of the vinyl and get some uhmw instead, it is very cheap and easy to work with.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Stacy Boulet

Profile:

I can understand being unhappy with his [poorly worded] response, but he does make a valid point. Any coating, vinyl, uhmw, etc. that is applied to a set of bar hooks is considered a wear (not "where") item and is intended to protect your bars' knurling and/or the finish on the hook. It's not a permanent solution, and it does have to be replaced from time to time. Obviously this time period will be shorter if you're more concerned with appearance than function.

How long do you really expect a vinyl sticker to last in this application?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Perhaps a better avenue would have been to review the product and let others decide. At this point all we have is you complaining about a vendor, whose name you don't mention, about an issue on par with a frayed shoelace on a pair of shoes. Furthermore, without your emails to him, we only have your side of the story with regard to his response you posted here. Granted his response is lame, maybe he was fed up with you.

I am all for local/small business but in some cases it is better to go with the tried and true rather than being the test subject.

The cream will rise to the top. Everyone is looking to make a buck off or Crossfit and there are plenty of people willing to puke up money for the latest gadget or whatever.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
At this point all we have is you complaining about a vendor, whose name you don't mention, about an issue on par with a frayed shoelace on a pair of shoes.
I'm trying to stay out of this thread, but he did mention the vendor's name in the thread title.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post
I'm trying to stay out of this thread, but he did mention the vendor's name in the thread title.
LOL. I had no idea American Aggression was a company. Oops. I thought the title was some sort of bot.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

How is the rest of the rack?

- Mark
Old 02-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
James lee

Profile:

folks, it started to break down 3 months into it. there's no excuse for not standing by your product especially in that short amount of time. He did also tell me that it should not peel off.

This rack was close to 10k. NOTHING should be falling off in 3 months or if it does, he should come fix it.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

.....aaand how is the rest of the rack?

- Mark