CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #1
Alex Burden

Profile:
What do you think is your one weakest link?

What do you think is your one weakest link that is holding you back from many other things within CF? (can be anything-food, mobility, strength anything)

Do you have a plan how to fix this and what sort of time frame are you looking at?

How do you measure if your plan is working and within that given time frame?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: What do you think is your one weakest link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
What do you think is your one weakest link that is holding you back from many other things within CF? (can be anything-food, mobility, strength anything)
Shoulder mobility/flexibility, for sure.

Quote:
Do you have a plan how to fix this and what sort of time frame are you looking at?
I plan to complain about it, buy books and tools to help me with it, fail to use those books and tools, grumble about my laziness in having failed to use those books and tools, buy new books and tools, and then repeat the cycle all over again year after year for the next several decades.

Quote:
By repeatedly demonstrating that that I am miserable at anything and everything that requires even average extension overhead.

- Mark
Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Mark, you're an inspiration to us all.

Mine is probably pullups. I started CF about a year ago, lazy, and way out of shape. When I started, I let coaches know it was an area of extreme weakness that needed a lot of help. My plan was to work on them as often as possible, and try to get as much help as possible. Being able to measure the success of my plan would simply require me to start Rxing workouts that involve pullups. I haven't done that yet. At this rate, I figure I'll be able to string together some kipping pullups in about 4 years, if no injuries get in the way.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Well since Mark took my response here is mine

Cardio / engine / tank

I would like to say ill do more cardio /engine / tank work but I can't promise I will.

In a perfect world where I'm not lazy and don't suffer a heart condition I would do more cardio. But with my current lazy attitude, insane love for carbs and sugar and my faulty ticker, I will just keep telling people how I could win the games if it wasn't for my lack of an engine

((All kidding aside mine is my engine and my faulty heart which makes building my engine hard, so I'll be sarcastic too because I like to be))
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Mark, you're an inspiration to us all.
Awwww shucks. I try.

- Mark
Old 09-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Grip. It limits everything. It gives out before anything else on deadlifts, pull-ups, rows, etc.

I've been focusing on more grip work and bought some Grip4orce fat bar gripper thingies to use on assistance exercises as well.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

I would say:
*Overhead flexibility/Stabilization - limits my snatch and especially OHS

*Technique/Possible Mental Block on dipping under the bar for power cleans or power snatches. I basically muscle clean/snatch them if it isnt a full squat, havent quite figured this out yet.

*Previous lower back injury - limits me in volume workouts with DL or Front Squats. I can do heavy lifts or 1 rep maxes, but cant move near as much weight for a couple rounds of 10-15 as i should be able to.

I do not work on mobility like i should, but im getting better about adding it in. Ive also started increasing frequency and working on OHS at light loads several times a week.

I have recently been able to OHS more reps strung together at the same weight i used to really struggle with, so i consider that progress of sorts. It still feels awful though and i feel like ill never be able to just throw up 185 and OHS it while everyone watches in awe
Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Soft tissue damage in my back following a car accident 3 years ago. Has lead to recurring injuries in my neck, left hip, left leg, left shoulder, and left arm. Hindered range of motion in my shoulder and hip on the left side. Made my left arm and left leg significantly weaker.

Quote:
I spent the last 3 years with basically no plan, just adjusting my workouts when the pain or mobility was a problem, doing a lot of self-care and mobility work, physical therapy, massage, etc. Most of the time my attitude was "push through it" and I never got adequate rest. That was dumb. That's why I keep re-injuring. So, now I have a better plan.

Every one hour session is:
10-15 min. of mobility/stretching/rolling
10-15 min. of unilateral strength work (bodyweight or kettlebells)
20 min. of weightlifting with unloaded bar for volume and precise technique (jerks, cleans, snatches, assistance lifts)
10-20 min. of "play": cardio, a WOD, skill or strength, whatever I feel I can manage that day without making my problems worse

I'll continue with this program until I'm pain free and symmetrical again.

Quote:
The daily mobility work is a good time to size-up my pain, muscle soreness, tightness, and compare it to the day before. The unilateral strength work gives me a good sense of how balanced my strength or hip/shoulder mobility is. The low load/high volume weightlifting is another place to observe movement quality. And the "play" time is a chance to gauge overall performance. So the plan itself is it's own measurement tool, and the time frame is as long as needed.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I hate dieting.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I hate dieting.
The bane of my exsistence. With how I workout, if I had a diet that resembled that of even a part-time athlete, I would look fairly good. Instead, I constantly hover between 20-24% BF and can't really break the cycle. I started using My Fitness Pal to track my actual caloric in-take with the IIFYM breakdown. We'll see if I can commit and what results it produces. Being fatter really slows down high rep and high speed workouts.