CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Hey, I didn't know if I should post this in the fitness forum or not, but since I post here more I figured "why not?". I just got done reading Tamir Katz' book (e-book only cost me like 4 dollars! great buy!) and I gotta say it's the best paleo book I've read. Tamir has a great writing style and he uses so much logic. There's no absolutes in his book and he leaves everything up to the reader, it's awesome. He has even persuaded me to add some more fruits and vegetables to my diet and gives good cooking tips. His workouts are also very crossfit, except without weights. Anyone else read this book? It kicks ***! Just thought I'd drop a few lines for my man Tamir for the excellent book.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Jason Steele

Profile:
Gotta link for that ebook?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
TBK's stuff is right on...check it out!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Sure Jason, here ya go:
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore...byPVcBCgkSQ%3d
Old 02-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
What a great, and simple, way to determine the value of the food you are going to eat... would it be available in the wild, and will it make me sick? Cool!!
Old 02-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I know Michael, great stuff. One thing I have probelems with is the fruit though. Fruit really isn't available in the wild very often. I would say in the wild, without pesticides or anything to keep bugs from eating fruits, humans would only have fruit for probably a couple weeks out of the entire year. I'm going to try Tamir's diet minus the fruit and see what happens. I'm going to eat whenever hungry and stop when full. This could be interesting.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
This is where I get very confused about the paleo books I've read. I thought we evolved in Africa in the rift valley, which is near the equator. Where it has a wet season and a dry season, not a hot and a cold season.

Hadn't we alredy evolved by the time we got to Europe?

The Lights Out book just seemed to treat evolution like it all happened in the USA :happy: How can the same rules apply to someone who lives in Egypt to someone who lives in Iceland.

Wouldn't fruit be available most of the time in one form or another?

I think I need to understand evolution a lot better.

I was going to post up a question about Magnesium and calcium but there's a good article on the TBK site about Osteoporosis that answers my question. Added to favourites.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Matthias Neumann

Profile:
Paul,

do you have a link for the article on osteoporosis? TIA.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
Paul Symes

Profile:
Matthias

Here you go
http://www.tbkfitness.org/Osteoporosis.html

Paul
Old 02-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think the fruit question is a valid one. Whether living in equatorial Africa or South America, farming is neccessary to create a year round fruit supply.

In the book The !Kung San: Men, Women and Work in a Foraging Society Robert Lee describes his experience of living among the Kung San. His work covers more than 20 years with these people and includes detailed analysis of thier food, activity, social structures etc. Dr. lee notes that the Kung diet ranges from as little as 10% of thier calories being animal derived at certain times of the year to as much as 90% at other times. There are certainly times when fruit is not available and even roots and tubers are fairly undesirable. Obviously this is some huge variation in macronutrient content!

The Kung are believed to be one of if not the oldest group of humans on the planet. Geneticists and anthropologists posit that they are the direct descendants of our first ancestors and that populations throughout the globe are the result of migrations from this area.

The implications? Seasonal availability of food was likely woven into the human genome in some way but how to best balance that with regards to modern living and performance goals...I have some theories on that but the answers are not clear cut IMO.