CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
For many reasons, I like the idea of eating in cycles of feasting and fasting. I've been reading up on it, and the science supporting this seems fairly strong. I also like how it ties into the Paleo perspective on nutrition.

I was wondering if there have been any new studies (or personal accounts) comparing the effects of IF (every other day eating), Warrior diet (eating once at the end of the day), and the 15 hour fast. I read Robb Wolf's excellent article on IF in the PM, but at that point, he seemed to indicate that the benefits of 15 hour fasting were still yet to be verified. Any new info?

I am basically looking to get a better sense of what the best account is for how one should cycle feasting and fasting. I looked through the archives a bit, and the accounts varied. Fasting seems like something that has the potential to be very beneficial if done well, and extremely harmful if done incorrectly. Perhaps people have some guidelines of what NOT to do while fasting (don't fast for more than 48 hours, for instance). Anyway, thanks for any input.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Travis, as far as I know there have not been any studies comparing these threee methods. Nevertheless, I have tried each of these methods and here's what I personally came up with:
Warrior type- Is the most convenient because I'm generally very busy during the day and get to relax in the evening and eat a large meal to satisfaction. I also found that it helps to increase my "drive" during the WOD. I feel best on this eating pattern, but every so often I get really hungry during the day and have to throw in a feast day where I eat tons of food in one day and then revert back to the warrior diet the next day. I feel great on this plan.
15 hour fast- This works well for staying really lean, but I think the effects all around are less prominent than in the warrior diet. I also found that with this method I had trouble sleeping. Going to bed hungry doesn't workout well for me. The large meal in the warrior diet weighs me down and prepares me for sleep. With the 15 hours approach I felt like I wanted to exercise at 10:00 at night, not a natural thing.
Day on/day off- This approach supplies the most beneficial effects for me: lowered heart rate, increased mental clarity, etc. The only problems I had with this approach were that it becomes very inconvenient to be constantly eating on the refeeding day. I just don't have the time for that. It also interfered with sleep. I would go to bed starving on fasting days and have a lot of trouble conking out.
Conclusion: the warrior diet is the most convenient for my schedule and allows for excellent sleeping patterns. I think it gets the best of both worlds between the day on/day off and 15 hours approaches.
Some things that I wouldn't do with IF is fall into a hypocaloric state. make sure you eat plenty of food during the overeating phase. If you don't you'll burn out in no time. I would say go with what is convenient to you're schedule, they all work to some extent. Sorry if this didn't answer your question, but maybe it helped a little.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Greg, thanks for the info. Your account seems to fit my experience as well (although I haven't had the drive to try the day on / day off eating cycle).

One more question: have you compared the ratios of protien, fat, and carbs that you tend to eat while on the warrior diet to the Zone proportions? I suspect that the Warrior diet would require more protien and/or fat, but this is complete speculation. Thanks again for the response.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Travis, sorry for the late response. I haven't tried Zone proportions directly but I have used the Paleo diet with the Warrior diet with really good results. I would say that I was roughly in Zone proportions, but I didn't count anything.The idea of the Warrior diet is to not have to always count things or worry about too much of this or that, it's to eat as much as you want of whatever you want in your overeating meal (warning "whatever you want" means healthy foods (paleo/crossfit foods), not junk foods) Hope that helped.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Travis-

No new research to speak of.

I think it is very important to look at body composition and performance. Scotty Hagnas and a few others have reported improvements in both areas as comp-ared to their Zone experience.

If things start to slide perhaps the program needs some tweaking or it may not be a good fit for the individual.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
15 hour IF here....I'm with Scotty Hagnas. My performance and body comp have improved. My recovery times are down as well. I assume the lack of need for constant digestion is giving the body time to tend to other things. I've also noticed that a weekend binge of bad food and beer is more easily handled than it used to be (not in terms of hangover). My body seems to just push alot of the crap through (no pun intended) and the excess water weight drops off very quickly too.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
I've tried all of the approaches. I do the ~15 hour fast most often, and feel great on that, but I do a "Warrior Diet" style fast one or two days a week, also.

I have also been fooling with my protein consumption schedule lately, and have seen some interesting things. I will do a day or two of fairly light protein intake, followed by several days of much higher protein - including sometimes eating quite a bit at one meal. In a few short weeks of this, I have gained several pounds, and no additional fat. We know that long workouts can give one little, if any results, but short, intense Crossfit style workouts can produce profound change. Could it be that the same is true of nutrition and macronutrient intake? In other words, the steady state diet keeps one in homostatis, but it is the adaptation to extreme variance that produces change.

On the grazing style feeding pattern, I have historically had a very hard time gaining weight, and when I would kick my calories up high enough to gain -it would be mostly fat.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Little something new:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstra ct&list_uids=16275865&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docs um

and this!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&li st_uids=16242247&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum