CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Chris Brigham

Profile:
Crossfit gloves

Had my hands get torn up pretty bad, and thought it was time to use some gloves, didn't want to use the mechaniz ones, (seemed a little too thick), so I got the $55 crossfit gloves from the Reebok store. They seem good in theory but after 2 WODs, they have already ripped, on the upper breathable part.

I am wondering if this is normal or has anymore had experience with these, because for 55 I expect a good product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reebok_crossfit_gloves-300x217.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	13372  
Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: Crossfit gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
Had my hands get torn up pretty bad, and thought it was time to use some gloves, didn't want to use the mechaniz ones, (seemed a little too thick), so I got the $55 crossfit gloves from the Reebok store. They seem good in theory but after 2 WODs, they have already ripped, on the upper breathable part.

I am wondering if this is normal or has anymore had experience with these, because for 55 I expect a good product.
i think that this is normal. i have seen more than one review saying that the quality of the Reebok glove is terrible and that it tears in a very short period of time. i use the Mecanix gloves for tire flips, hammer work etc and like them very much. for everything else, no gloves.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

here is another "happy" customer with the Reebok gloves:

http://www.down2wod.com/reebok-crossfit-gloves/

link is safe for work.

i will say this, Reebok does make some good products like their CF shoes that i LOVE and use every day. however, they also have some products with terrible quality. i bought 3 CF shirts from them and all 3 have terrible quality and are falling apart after a few weeks of use. in contrast, i have bought many shirts from Rogue and all of them have lasted me a year + even when wearing them for workouts.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

What a bummer about those gloves!!

For what it's worth, I wear some gloves that I got at Harbor Freight for $2.99 that work great for pull ups or muscle ups. The palm is all one piece of material with no seems to bunch up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/househo...rge-93640.html (WFS)

I cannot really hook grip very well with these so I don't wear them for barbell work but they save my hands from tearing on heavy pull up days.

I assure you that I was the only one at Regionals last weekend wearing Harbor Freight gloves haha!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post

Mechanix aren't thick at all dude they are really quite thin and can take an absolute beating, should look into them furtehr
Old 05-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Keras Lesko

Profile:

Mechanix Vented gloves are great. Vented, so they breathe well, and thin. You can buy them online for about $19 or get the Rogue branded ones for $28
Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Christopher Kraul

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keras Lesko View Post
Mechanix Vented gloves are great. Vented, so they breathe well, and thin. You can buy them online for about $19 or get the Rogue branded ones for $28
I have the Rogue ones and really I only use them when I row or if I were to do tire flips. Your hands get used to the volume, or what I recommend are gymnastic grips.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
David L Jones

Profile:

I highly recommend the JAW WOD grips sold online at the WOD Shop. They are like gymnastic grips, but made out of a stretchable cloth. Surprisingly, they last forever and you can wash them. I rarely if ever do a pull-up, TTB or knees to elbows workout without them. Since using them, I have yet to rip and I have been using them for over 6 months now. Here is a WFS link to them: http://www.wodshop.com/brands/Just-Another-WOD.html

Another thing that helps is Mane and Tail Hoofmaker (rock climbers use it). It keeps your calluses from drying up and ripping, which allows you to build up your calluses and need gless protection. I have been without the Hoofmaker for a few months and even then, the JAW grips keep me from ripping. I do notice that when I use the hoof maker my hands are much less sore though. Here is a WFS link to the Hoofmaker: http://manentail.com/products/hoofmaker/
Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Saul Garcia

Profile:

The Reebok gloves tear fairly quickly.

I use to go with regular batting gloves ($15-20) and/or football gloves ($20-25) which you can always find on sale.

Lately for pull ups I've been using natural grips, they are amazing.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Price Goosby

Profile:

My thoughts on gloves are that I'm wearing because I'm doing a movement/ activity that is tearing up my hands. With that in mind I should assume it'll do the same to my gloves sooner or later so I shouldn't invest too much in to them. I'll normally chew through a pair of $15 Firm Grips every 3-6 months.