CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Dubble under - rope length

Well i shortened the rope by 4 inches compared to my armpit measurement and things are allot better even though i do not think i am Done yet.

Still trial and error after allot of testing. To make sure i test correctly i test the new length for 1 week and the move on.

So i am moving into my 3rd week and will adjust it a little more.

And i always thought jumping rope was easy.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
David L Jones

Profile:

I had the same issue as others regarding rope length being to short. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get good at DUs. This weekend, a coach was telling me that my rope was hitting my feet as my hands would rise. So I went to the JumpNrope.com (WFS) website and checked out their sizing video again. Previously, I had only used one foot for my sizing with the handles at my arm pits. When I resized the rope, I allowed both handles to be about 1/8 of an inch above my arm pits while standing on the rope with both feet.

I immediately had success and was doing sets of 30+ without messing up. Heck, I even did 50 in a row without stopping. I cannot believe how much a of a difference rope length made for me.

Last edited by David L Jones : 04-08-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Jones View Post
I had the same issue as others regarding rope length being to short. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get good at DUs. This weekend, a coach was telling me that my rope was hitting my feet as my hands would rise. So I went to the JumpNrope.com (WFS) website and checked out their sizing video again. Previously, I had only used one foot for my sizing with the handles at my arm pits. When I resized the rope, I allowed both handles to be about 1/8 of an inch above my arm pits while standing on the rope with both feet.

I immediately had success and was doing sets of 30+ without messing up. Heck, I even did 50 in a row without stopping. I cannot believe how much a of a difference rope length made for me.
Going to try that....
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
David L Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
Going to try that....
So did the extra length help?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
So did the extra length help?
Actually I added 1 1/2 inches and it was allot better. Now I have not done any DU's this week to see if I notice even more after the break.

But I have noticed that it has become somewhat easier. So I will be testing this length a couple of weeks and then I will test a touch longer.

But my wife is going to film me doing them and from the slow mo I should get a better idea as to what is going on
Old 04-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
David L Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
Actually I added 1 1/2 inches and it was allot better. Now I have not done any DU's this week to see if I notice even more after the break.

But I have noticed that it has become somewhat easier. So I will be testing this length a couple of weeks and then I will test a touch longer.

But my wife is going to film me doing them and from the slow mo I should get a better idea as to what is going on
That is good to hear. My double unders keep getting better and better. I am now doing them during my warm up most days. Heck, I am so tickled that I can do double unders now, I love doing them. Plus, they are a heck of a way to get a warm up.

Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #17
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
That is good to hear. My double unders keep getting better and better. I am now doing them during my warm up most days. Heck, I am so tickled that I can do double unders now, I love doing them. Plus, they are a heck of a way to get a warm up.

Keep us updated on your progress.
So true.....
Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #18
Alex Burden

Profile:

Just to close this topic i opened.

I have actually gone to full lenght of the rogue speed i bought and found it allot better.

But ---- what i have found is that technique is key to it all and small changes make a massive difference, Body position plays a massive role in this.. standing too strait or bent, how you jump, if you bend at the knees or waist and so on and of course the speed of your wrists.

For i found if i lean forward just a fraction, keeping my eyes on something 20ft in front of me ... bingo....

So after all the testing, whipping marks on my arms from the rope it has finally paid off.

I can now hit sets of 30 no problem what so ever.... of course there are always things to improve.. but at the moment i am happy.