CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Douglas Schmale

Profile:
Garage gymers, how have you trained with an infant/toddler?

Hello everyone. Last year my wife and I had our first child, bought a house, and immediately began converting our garage into a dedicated training space. We have been training apart, me on lunch at a globo gym and her in the garage in the evening while I watch our 11 month old. Now that the days are longer and the garage is more hospitable, we'd like to be able to train together. The problem is: what to do with our son?

What do you all do with your youngins when you train? We thought about getting some foam mats and building him a little play pen, but I'd love to hear everyone's experience.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Garage gymers, how have you trained with an infant/toddler?

There are many possible solutions to this question, and you'll have to find what works for you.

I have twins that are 15 months old, as well as two boys, ages 6 and 9. I have a garage gym.

When the babies were really small (3 months or younger), there were a few times they sat in their car seats and watched us work out. (Workout intensity for my wife was pretty low then, during the recovery from delivery.)

There were a few months in there where I was not working out. At all. Not once for several months. Some CrossFitters would spontaneously combust if they had to take even a couple weeks off, but this is an option that you might consider. In the back of mind I recognized that as the twins got older, their need for attention would change and free up a little time to workout.

Once they were crawling they could entertain themselves for short periods of time. I have an advantage over you here. Two babies may hold each other's attention better than one. I also have the older boys to play with them or keep an eye on them. The house is baby-proofed, so they're not going to get into too much trouble. And we've got an area that's like a playroom where they can stay occupied with toys. It's not actually in the garage gym, but we can hear them if they shout for us or cry.

I think a playpen nearby is a good idea, but consider a few things. Is your son the type that is more likely to fuss if he can see you? If the playpen is out of sight, you should still be able to hear him, but that means he can hear dropping barbells or other loud noises. Will this scare him? Maybe the best solution would be a playpen area with a monitor, so you can hear him while in the gym, but he'll be further away from anything too loud. Your choices will depend on his personality, or maybe you'll figure out the best set up based on trial and error.

The best time to fit in a workout will be after your son has had a nap and been fed. If he's not tired or hungry he's more likely to enjoy playing for a while.

All that being said, there will be times that you are interrupted from your workout. This can be frustrating when you're trying to do a timed metcon. Just roll with it. It's a good life.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

I would also love to hear other people's experience with this. My wife and I just had our first child a couple weeks ago. I clearly see that working out during the week will be next to impossible for the time being, except for maybe doing some BW things in the house and rowing.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Paul Glezer

Profile:

Situation is a bit different but similar. We have 11 month old twin boys. We live in a condo and my garage is used for the car, i do have a garage gym at my inlaw house about 5 min away. I have found the best option is to go WOD during their naps. Granted someone had to stay home to watch the kids.

We are moving to a house in the near future. The kids are out growing the playpen area we have now. I plan to put that in the garage and also get them some WOD toys. Kids love to replicate what we do, it wont take long and they will be copying you.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glezer View Post
i do have a garage gym at my inlaw house about 5 min away. I have found the best option is to go WOD during their naps. Granted someone had to stay home to watch the kids.
Working out during the babies' naps didn't work for me because their bedroom is right over the garage. We could only get away with it if we weren't dropping weights. Nap time seems like it would work better for you if you're actually going to a different location to workout.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Douglas Schmale

Profile:

Nap time's a no-go since we get home from work about two hours before he goes into his evening routine. It will get much easier in a year or two but in the meanwhile, I'd like to expose him to his parents' pass time. I seriously think that I'll build a child seat onto my prowler. I imagine that would be awesome fun for him and allow my wife to do her thing while I push.

Ultimately, I'll have to find creative ways to occupy him - like the prowler seat - while also restricting my evening sessions to just conditioning. Unlike me, my wife doesn't have the opportunity to lift on her lunch break, so her evening time takes priority.

I appreciate everyone's input, and will take any more if someone else wants to chime in with their experiences.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

When my oldest was little (almost 22 now) i would train at a globo... i had him in the pushchair and went for a walk with him unitl he fell asleep. I was an at home dad with him for 18 months (which is something you can do in Sweden)

Then i went into the gym and did my stuff until he either woke up and i needed to stop or he fell back asleep and i continued.

But you can easily train together.... you just need to think differently...

Think of WODs that both of you can do and when one of you is resting the other occupies the little one or one of you hits a WOD and and then other hits the same thing.... there is no rocket science in it.

Its called trial and error and being creative.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-12-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Douglas Schmale

Profile:

A proper endeavor for a rocket scientist would be designing a thread that took more than ten posts to devolve into condescension. It's called common courtesy. Simmer down.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I didn't read condescension in his post. It's hard to get a feel for tone in a typed message. Especially if from a country where English is a second language. I give people the benefit of the doubt.

UNLESS YOU USE ALL CAPS. That's just shouting.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Schmale View Post
A proper endeavor for a rocket scientist would be designing a thread that took more than ten posts to devolve into condescension. It's called common courtesy. Simmer down.
Ditto Christopher's message. I don't read anything even *remotely* close to condescension into any of the posts so far.

- Mark