CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Michael Chang

Profile:
New Macro Numbers

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with different macro numbers. For the past 3 months I have been using numbers based on the IIFYM template. For example using a 2100 calorie parameter I am eating:

190 Carbs / 70 fats / 170 Protein

It is technically a cutting template, and it isn't bad. I was hoping someone had some experience with maybe cutting the carbs by 30%-50% and redistributing those calories into fats and proteins. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: New Macro Numbers

What are your goals?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chang View Post
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with different macro numbers. For the past 3 months I have been using numbers based on the IIFYM template. For example using a 2100 calorie parameter I am eating:

190 Carbs / 70 fats / 170 Protein

It is technically a cutting template, and it isn't bad. I was hoping someone had some experience with maybe cutting the carbs by 30%-50% and redistributing those calories into fats and proteins. Any help would be appreciated.
Start here: http://eatingacademy.com/start-here (wfs)

I'm no expert, and you'll have to do your own research, but the basic rules are:
Cut carbs to something sustainable for you, but probably under 100g (and if you really want to cut, under 50g). Cut protein to 120-150g. Add calories back into the diet in the form of fats, focusing on monounsaturated and saturated.

This is all assuming that you chose the "cutting template" because you want to lose fat.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Michael Chang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
What are your goals?
hoping to lower body fat
Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
hoping to lower body fat
The carbs are high enough to support some intense training such as crossfit. You could probably start tinkering a bit and taking it down to around 125-150 and up the fat slightly and see how that feels. The main concern I have with people going too low-carb or keto when doing metcon's all the time is the vulnerability to really overtrain and spike cortisol too much. In which case fat loss is not going to be happening anymore and it's not going to be fun.

I'd say a lot of people can still do well with staying slightly above 100g or so of carbs a day. Playing with the timing of it such as a carb-backloading type scenario where post-workout/PM is where most of the carbs are partitioned works well for a lot of people.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I would drop the carbs a bit and up the protein (depending on how much you weigh). You can sub some healthy fats in too.

Also, without knowing your height/weight I would say 2100 calories is probably too low for you if you even have a moderately active lifestyle. I would bump that up to around 2500 and keep track of your weight for a week or two and adjust from there.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
The main concern I have with people going too low-carb or keto when doing metcon's all the time is the vulnerability to really overtrain and spike cortisol too much. In which case fat loss is not going to be happening anymore and it's not going to be fun.
Richard, do you have more info on this? I'm genuinely interested because I'm in that boat.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Michael Chang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I would drop the carbs a bit and up the protein (depending on how much you weigh). You can sub some healthy fats in too.

Also, without knowing your height/weight I would say 2100 calories is probably too low for you if you even have a moderately active lifestyle. I would bump that up to around 2500 and keep track of your weight for a week or two and adjust from there.
My body composition is currently around 15% bf, 5'11", and 175~180 lbs.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Michael Chang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
The carbs are high enough to support some intense training such as crossfit. You could probably start tinkering a bit and taking it down to around 125-150 and up the fat slightly and see how that feels. The main concern I have with people going too low-carb or keto when doing metcon's all the time is the vulnerability to really overtrain and spike cortisol too much. In which case fat loss is not going to be happening anymore and it's not going to be fun.

I'd say a lot of people can still do well with staying slightly above 100g or so of carbs a day. Playing with the timing of it such as a carb-backloading type scenario where post-workout/PM is where most of the carbs are partitioned works well for a lot of people.
interesting, i'll play around with this. I am not going to go down to 50~70 carbs immediately. I'd prefer to take it down 30-40g every 5-7 weeks and see how I feel during each cycle.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
interesting, i'll play around with this. I am not going to go down to 50~70 carbs immediately. I'd prefer to take it down 30-40g every 5-7 weeks and see how I feel during each cycle.
I'll point out that once you do get to a point where you're in ketosis, whether that be <150g or <50g, you'll need time to adapt to the new source of energy your body is creating, 3 weeks seems to be the average. I like your plan though, and wish you success.