CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:
Off-season strength - how much conditioning?

Been training CF for about 1 year now, just the regular WOD sessions at my box. Great fun and all, and I'm doing quite well.

A few years ago, powerliftig was my main sport, and before that BB.

My best lifts as a PL'er was a Squat triple with 440, 530 Pound Deadlift, 287 bench (hated bench..) After a 3 year hiatus from sports, im diving back in, this time as a cf'er, and one time matathon runner.

I'm finding it quite difficult to reach something that just resembles my old strength, while still doing lots of WOD's and conditioning. So since I'm not competing at the opens, I thought i might as well get stronger and Work on my non-existing gymnastic skills.

I'm very fortunate in that I can put a lot of time into my training. Time is on my side, am able to do multiple sessions, If need be.

My question is: how much conditioning should I be doing, if I want to focus on strenght and skills?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Off-season strength - how much conditioning?

You know strength, so get a strength base program and then see if you can handle 2-3 conditioning sessions a week. The easier the conditioning the more you can handle. But for those wanting to focus on strength 2-3 sessions is consistent with most good programs.

The exception would be if you are trying to do your assistance work in the metcons, then you might be able to do more conditioning (kind of like CrossFit Football).

Just keep an eye on overall volume.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

Do you think it would be foolish trying to increase Oly numbers, while altso doing Gym Work, coupled with 2-3 conditioning sessions, like one 5k run as fast as possible, and one sprinting session on the rower? I like running, It forces me to keep going in the same high tempo, even if I'm breathing heavy.

Or should I focus the NeXT three months on purely strenght and oly + 2 cond sessions? I have a tendency to chase several rabbits at the same time..
Old 03-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Cam Peavy

Profile:

It's very hard (if not impossible) to make linear improvement over all groups. It's also not optimal. Pick strength + conditioning, or strength + some oly work, or some form. Don't try to attack it all at once!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

I'm gonna go with strength + oly Work, and keep 2-3 conditioning sessions, one GymMetcon, one sprint session on the rower, and one 5k run/row. Though the last one can be skipped, if feeling toasted.

I was thinking about doing back to back BW "Fran" sessions for my GymCon.

21-15-9
Burpees (every session, once a week)
Pull Ups, C2B Pulls, TTB, 24" Box jumps, TTR...Preferably something easy on the legs.

Goal is to survive as many 4 min rounds as possible. Like the one open workout.

Any comments?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Alex Diaz

Profile:

It might be helpful to set some goals, or have some kind of endgame in mind, rather than trying to figure out "how much" you should be doing (or can be doing). I'm saying it would be easier if the question were framed around a well defined end, i.e. "how much should/could I be doing, to achieve goal X" ?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

I would say 2-3 conditioning sessions per week. If you are a CFer I would do 2-3 WODs per week ("traditional" WODs, for lack of a better term, which focus on conditioning) in addition to your strength work.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Klæmint Vagadal

Profile:

Alex, how much I should do, is just what I'm trying to figure out. If I were to rephrase my question: How much conditïoning sould I do, to prevent my metcon times from completly plummething, and me becoming an overweight powerlifter, with a huge beard, tight glutes and a useless 500 Pound squat? I'm very prone to overeating, and carb sensitive (sure feels like it...though I would'nt mind the beard)

Chris, I agree, MetCons should probably be my main conditoning, sinc CF is my sport. It's just that I ran a 6K trip the other day, and realized that my running condi actually sucks. Hard. So I figured my overall cardio would benefit from 5K runs, but that may be too taxing on the legs, since I am at a period, where I want to increase strength.