CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:
Oly Complexes

What do you think about Oly complexes?

In CF, strength WOD's don't occur frequently enough for my liking, and they're typically brief, as in some movement for 5x3 or 5x5, and then not see that same movement purposed for strength for a few weeks.

The problem with Oly is that you can't get in enough volume to illicit any decent strength gains, unless you're doing 1-2 hour sessions like they do in weightlifting facilities. In CF, it's maybe five work sets once or twice a week (in the good boxes that actually do regular strength work) and then the WOD.

I find complexes to have a profound stimulus since they keep the bar in your hands for an extended period of time. Complexes keep the set going, where form would have broken down if you were to continue to do the full lifts for 5 reps or more, kind of like what happens during metcons. I got these from Wil Fleming's articles on t-nation.

My personal favorites are the Klokov, SC/HSC/2 FS/Jerk, Snatch/Hang Snatch x 2/OHS x 3, and Snatch x 3/High Pull x 3/ Snatch Grip DL x 3.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Oly Complexes

I think this would be a great way to get in additional work especially if you need practice on the Oly lifts.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I spent a fairly lengthy period of doing barbell complexes, before or after, every training session. It helps practice the movement, while building strength/endurance and improving lung capacity. I am all for them.

I used to try and focus on areas I felt needed a little improvement, which was trying to always include "from the hang" in a lot of my self-made complexes.

I think my favorite was training for snatch work - I would do power snatch, hang power snatch, hang snatchx2.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Sittinger View Post
What do you think about Oly complexes?

In CF, strength WOD's don't occur frequently enough for my liking, and they're typically brief, as in some movement for 5x3 or 5x5, and then not see that same movement purposed for strength for a few weeks.

The problem with Oly is that you can't get in enough volume to illicit any decent strength gains, unless you're doing 1-2 hour sessions like they do in weightlifting facilities. In CF, it's maybe five work sets once or twice a week (in the good boxes that actually do regular strength work) and then the WOD.

I find complexes to have a profound stimulus since they keep the bar in your hands for an extended period of time. Complexes keep the set going, where form would have broken down if you were to continue to do the full lifts for 5 reps or more, kind of like what happens during metcons. I got these from Wil Fleming's articles on t-nation.

My personal favorites are the Klokov, SC/HSC/2 FS/Jerk, Snatch/Hang Snatch x 2/OHS x 3, and Snatch x 3/High Pull x 3/ Snatch Grip DL x 3.
As long as you have the capacity to get into those positions I think it's awesome. Even quick complexes like the ones you mentioned will reinforce good motor patterns, get the CNS and muscles firing off quickly which even just moving some easy weight are going to help at least maintain your strength or improve it, and those small amount of reps a few times a week over a long period add up to a lot of reps of work that will ultimately make a difference too.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I do one for my own training (try to do it every week) that is around 70-80% of my 1RM clean that consists of 3 or 5 reps of each move (depends on the %):
Deadlift
Hang clean (sometimes have to be hang squat cleans)
Shoulder to overhead
Back squat

Depending on the % and reps, I try for either EMOM or E2MOM.

Exhausting for sure....