CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Richard Macaulay

Profile:
Balancing out weaknesses

Hey guys

We have an athlete that is interested in rowing. She rows single oar. There Is obviously a side she pulls more on. Is there merit in using unilateral work to work out weaknesses? (eg incorporating movements from the article below).

http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/5...-your-crossfit

Richard
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Balancing out weaknesses

I'd say yes.

The problem I see is how do you combat all the volume she is doing for one side even with correctives throughout the week?

I have zero rowing experience, would there be risk in ruining her form if she were to do some sessions hitting the the other side of the oar?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I'd say yes.

The problem I see is how do you combat all the volume she is doing for one side even with correctives throughout the week?

I have zero rowing experience, would there be risk in ruining her form if she were to do some sessions hitting the the other side of the oar?
Thanks for the reply Robert. Iv asked that question to. Her coach has the team in set positions. This was done after testing the sides/positio in the bat they were suited best.

Obviousy the movements would be done on both sides. I was toying with keeping things bilateral or using more unilateral movements in her training.

Richard
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

For strength work, I think I'd still have my meat and potatoes come from regular squats, presses and pulls. But for assistance work I'd focus on the unilateral movements. I'd even toy with an extra sets for the "weaker" side and use the weaker side as a rep guideline.

Would the coach be upset is she did a non-team session rowing on the other side? Or after strength work, have her do some rows on the other side.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Hey guys

We have an athlete that is interested in rowing. She rows single oar. There Is obviously a side she pulls more on. Is there merit in using unilateral work to work out weaknesses? (eg incorporating movements from the article below).

http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/5...-your-crossfit

Richard
My .02

You have an actual athlete who participates in something and is using Crossfit to perform better at it. She, like most athletes, is asymmetrical in her function. Asymmetrical athletes can train favoring or using one side all the time and not get in too much trouble. The issue is when we start training them and put them under symmetrical loads like a barbell, that creates a much higher potential for injury.

So as long as your athlete is able to show competency in her unilateral/symmetrical loads and movements, that's fine. But I would imagine she is going to need mobility work on the non-dominant side of use as well as strength. I would be focusing on getting the other side up to par in terms of its function and being careful demanding too much load and intensity. If we get hurt trying to train for Crossfit, fine. But if a rower or any other athlete gets hurt training in the gym, it's a huge deal.