CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
Dixon Barreto

Profile:
425 Lbs Deadlift Fail

PR at 415LBS but failed at 425LBS

http://youtu.be/I3UjyJP9x3EYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE
Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 425 Lbs Deadlift Fail

Just an FYI, there is a Digital Coaching section where technique critiques are typically placed.

A side view might be helpful for evaluating the deadlift.

Looks like your back starts out a little rounded.

Things to play with are getting your butt down just a little more to see if you can get more drive out of your legs and a slightly narrow stance. Typically, your shoulders should be higher than your hips in the deadlift, but not as high as a snatch or clean setup.

I try not to use a mixed grip until I have to (usually heavy 5's and heavier).

For me, if I'm not doing a metcon, I try not to do my deadlift reps touch and go, to avoid getting a bounce which can alter form and make the exercise easier. And on very heavy sets, I often have a quick reset between reps to protect the low back. In a metcon, I'm a little more liberal.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

Dixon. I hate to say it but your lift should have ended as soon as that plate came off. Your were in such a ****ed up position because of it you should have taken responsibility for yourself and reset. You had the left weight off the ground while the right was still on. Then you swayed all over and was just simply a poster child for "what crossfit people do wrong".

Anyway.
For the most part, you appear to be straightening your legs far too quickly. Even at the warm up weight. Your legs are straight almost as the bar breaks the ground. Definitely before the bar passes your knees.
What should be happening is that you gain some tension in your hamstrings and you'll have a certain degree to the way your legs are bent - pretty much exactly as you initially setup. However, from there, you want to be cranking your glutes hard and the bar will be able to break ground. Your legs will essentially maintain that bend until the bar is at your knees. As your hips come through, your legs will straighten at the same time as your body extends upright - you'll probably take more shorts up with your bar too.
Try simply doing a light weight - like 135 - but maintain that leg bend for as long as you can. You may find you have to leverage against the barbell on the ground to do so. You will feel it in your glutes/hams. It doesn't mean you are to squat the weight up - like drop your *** and bend your knees too much, just means you need to engage, and keep engaged, your posterior chain. Rather than loose it all in the first few inches of the lift, then crank on your back.
How is your back after deadlifting ?

Who was that at 37-39 too ? I hope it wasn't your coach.

This is me as an example - perhaps a poor one for sure - but I had it on hand at at least shows some degree of leg bend as the bar is approaching knees. (I need to sit back a little, I was struggling with my setup here so was a little out of position). I'm not proclaiming I know or are good - just putting my picture up like you did yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpgZYOfWppg WFS

You can search out 1000s of youtube vids too.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

This was all back and no legs.

No drive from the ground with your legs.

You also changed your grip in the middle.. you need to keep the same process, same set up to find exactly the same start position before you start, hands in the right place, feet balanced, knees touching inside of elbows and so on otherwise you will end up with these sort of results...

But finally that a weight fell off is the biggest mistake that could ever happen. There is such a risk that you will hurt yourself or someone else next to you. You were in a rush to just get the weight up.

If you were doing a squat of any type you would have been in deep SĄ%t.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 02-06-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
This was all back and no legs.

No drive from the ground with your legs.
Man, imagine what you could lift if you used your legs.

I also agree, weight falls off, don't continue.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Do them without a bounce. I always reset at the bottom and pause for half a second to a second. Also, I only use 1-3 reps over multiple sets for deadlifting to warmup for a max. Save your energy for your max.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Dixon Barreto

Profile:

Thanks a lot of the advice...i'm doing my best for fix my errors
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Michael Steiger

Profile:

I would also say your head is lifted up to much at the start. Keep it up and straight with your back but not looking high. Imagine what you could pull if you also got some chucks.