CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Alex Swain

Profile:
Hip flexor weakness

Hi

Recently I have been trying to learn L-sits and Pistol Squats and for both exercises I have found that any issues are primarily linked to weak hip flexors. They also seem to be tight too as they often feel strained and sore after simple things like sprinting. On the L-sits (I am only doing one leg off the ground at the moment) I have found that there is a huge amount of tension in my quad as it tries to compensate for the hip flexor, and often my quad feels really strained and overworked. With Pistol Squats, I have no problem doing the actual squat. I have enough strength for that, but it always seems that my elevated leg drops from 90 degrees and occasionally skims the floor at the bottom of each rep, again due to my hip flexors. Basically, what I want to know is whether or not I should continue trying to do these movements in addition to certain other exercises or whether I should eliminate them from my work outs, just for the time being, until I can strengthen them to a certain level that will allow my to perform the exercises correctly.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:
Re: Hip flexor weakness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Swain View Post
Hi

Recently I have been trying to learn L-sits and Pistol Squats and for both exercises I have found that any issues are primarily linked to weak hip flexors. They also seem to be tight too as they often feel strained and sore after simple things like sprinting. On the L-sits (I am only doing one leg off the ground at the moment) I have found that there is a huge amount of tension in my quad as it tries to compensate for the hip flexor, and often my quad feels really strained and overworked. With Pistol Squats, I have no problem doing the actual squat. I have enough strength for that, but it always seems that my elevated leg drops from 90 degrees and occasionally skims the floor at the bottom of each rep, again due to my hip flexors. Basically, what I want to know is whether or not I should continue trying to do these movements in addition to certain other exercises or whether I should eliminate them from my work outs, just for the time being, until I can strengthen them to a certain level that will allow my to perform the exercises correctly.

Thanks!
I'm having the exact same problem at the moment. My hip flexors are generally very tight and recently I started to try and introduce pistol squats into my training. I feel a lot of pain in my quads, which I attribute to weak &/or tight hip flexors. I'm experimenting with this at the moment with a two pronged approach.

1) Proper progressions for the pistol squat rather than just jumping in to it

2) Extreme lacross ball massage on hip flexor/quads as often as possible, and specific strengthening exercises
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Look at psoas muscle stretches... You may find it's the problem child
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:

Kettbell on lacrosse ball on psoas = death

but great for loosening up
Old 03-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Swain View Post
Hi

Thanks!
Do you heel strike when you run? Most people who heel strike display a large step out in front of their body, causing huge braking motion which strains the knee and rest of the leg, technically all the way up the spine. Most heel strikers also utilize the hip flexor to pull the leg back in front of their body instead of the much larger hamstring muscle. So the weak hip flexor makes sense. The hip is most likely also never coming into full extension which usually causes the foot to kind of do this funky bow out, but it also strains the rectis femoris of the quad. The quad pulls on the hip flexor. I would also imagine you have a lot of calf restriction which is a bane to any bottom squat position like an L-Sit, Pistol, or snatch.

Really focus on cleaning up the psoas iliacus, rectus femoris, and quadratus lumborum (QL) like someone mentioned earlier with the kettle bell.