CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:
Re: Back squats

I agree with above, parallel is the minimum. Don't be that guy in the gym.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Back squats

High bar is more specific to CrossFit but I'll stand up and represent the low bar proponents. I like the greater hamstring and glute invovlement, especially if you are training for something besides CrossFit (like track or field sports).

As for depth, regardless of which bar position you prefer I don't like *** to grass for general training because it's harder on the joints (I like parallel or a bit below). K. Star and Rip like talking about how the hamstrings and glutes can't contribute much past parallel so the forces on the joint aren't very balanced at that depth. It's just a lot of quadricep pull. Combine that with a big bounce (which often accompanies that depth of squat to get out of the hole) creating a sudden dynamic stress in addition to the regular stress and you've get a higher likelihood of knee pain or patellar tendonitis (far from a certainty, just more likely). Not only does the theory appear sound but it lines up with my personal experience regarding knee pain and squatting and the fact that patellar tendonitis is not uncommon for people training a lot of o-lifts but is rare among powerlifters (I've never actually heard of a powerlifter getting it. Though I suppose one could argue that the cleans and front squats of o-lifters are causing the tendonitis, not the back squats).