CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #21
Anthony Hernandez

Profile:
Re: The definition of being "big"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Absolutely not.

........ if you want to be good at CrossFit you need to have a lot of specialization.
Go figure.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

There is nothing more I love about CrossFit than, you never have to see people checking themselves out in the mirror. I know there are people who have specific weight-loss goals (beyond the very unfit/obese, once you get started, it seems like it's mostly women who are still just looking for a particular waist sizes, or want to get rid of fat somewhere) but I know CF has transformed how I view my goals.

Sure, do I want to have a Froning-esque physique? Heck yeah, but I realize I can't control whether or not that happens. All I can do is, a) eat right, and b) work my *** off at the box. Whereas I used to look in the mirror and think, "gee...I wish my shoulders were bigger, I should read M&F mag and see what exercises will blow up my delts!!" now I just think, "I've got to get stronger on my presses."

I don't think CF is the place to be if you're thinking, "I want to be big," or "ripped," or whatever. You can decide what kind of CF athlete you want to be: do you want to be a metcon miracle? Do you want to kill on the oly lifts? Do you want to slay every gymnastic move? All of the above? Figure that out, and just go after it, and whatever happens to your physique, happens.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Adam Shreim

Profile:

My lean body mass, per TheZoneDiet's calculator, from 2009 to 2014 (presently) went from 121 lbs to 164 lbs. I have gained 40 pounds of just LEAN BODY MASS in the last 4-5 years, without doing a whole lot of strength training.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
There is nothing more I love about CrossFit than, you never have to see people checking themselves out in the mirror. .
This is only related to the fact that most CF gyms do not have mirrors. If they did you can guarantee you'd see people checking themselves out. This is not CrossFit's fault. It's just how people are. It's foolish to think that the vast majority of people don't do, or at least start CF just to look better. Maybe they pick up other goals along the way, but your average client probably just wants to feel better and look better naked. And that's as admirable of a goal as any other.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #25
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:

It always confuses me why some people frown upon "checking yourself out" in mirrors.

I figure that if you work your *** off then you best look good for it too and people are judged everyday on how they look...so best this sweat and tears makes me look good thats for sure.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #26
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
There is nothing more I love about CrossFit than, you never have to see people checking themselves out in the mirror.
Really? Of all things, that's on the top of the list?

- Mark
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #27
Mark Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
There's something to be said that "the Master of All is a Master of None," which is fine for a Crossfitter. Nobody wins bodybuilding competitions by Crossfitting, nobody wins Powerlifting titles, nobody wins triathlons by crossfitting. But athletes that need a well balanced wheel, like a football player, basketballer, fighter, high jumper, etc etc; these athletes can benefit from crossfitting.
The athletes you mention don't really need "well balanced" with the possible exception of the fighter. A high jumper in particular is every bit as specialized as a PLer.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

"There is nothing more I love about CrossFit than, you never have to see people checking themselves out in the mirror."

Because the people who post daily shirtless selfies on Facebook are clearly training for the "right reasons"...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
"There is nothing more I love about CrossFit than, you never have to see people checking themselves out in the mirror."

Because the people who post daily shirtless selfies on Facebook are clearly training for the "right reasons"...
I can choose to close FB. Having to walk around Johnny Bravo in front of the mirror trying to get to my weights is another issue.

I had no idea my simple (glib) statement would get so much attention...!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #30
Matt Thomas

Profile:

It's just that the comment is one thing that turns some off about CF. It's the mentality that "i train right and you train wrong." "I train for the right reasons and you train for the wrong reasons." "What I do is hardcore."

Your statement just came off as another one of those. I'm with you on the whole don't stand on top of the weights while your checking your pea shooters out please. Cuz you're blocking the weights. But if people train to look better and nothing else i'm all for it. Better than not training.